Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tadpole Copse

mtclunes

Anyone have an image of the trench maps around Cambrai - I am interested in finding out where Tadpole Copse is located.

Especially if the map related to the trenches circa dec 1917.

Thanks

Mark

There is a Trench Map CD produced in conjunction with Navel & Military Press and the Imperial War Museum its rather pricey over £100.

John

Thanks John,

I had a look at the modern map (google earth) and its amazing that the features are still present. It lets me locate exactly where my great grandfather was killed.

They were in retreat at the time of his death and though it is known he was killed there - he has no known grave. I guess no time to bury him.

• 10 years later...

Dear both, I am also of the mind that my Great Grandfather was killed at Tadpole Copse, but on November 22nd. He was Pve Frederick Wilson (66018) of the Royal Fusiliers, City of London Regiment, although he was from Tipton, then in South Staffs. I think that this was when it had been captured on Nov 21 and the Germans were trying to wrestle it back the following day.I was there over the weekend to remember is and Cambrai's Centenary. It is to the South of Inchy-En-Artois (about 1 mile away) and a mile and a  bit to the West of Moeuvres. He has no grave and no papers survive; but as the City of London Regiment (Battalions 1&2 56th Division) had been there from Nov 21-23. 

On 10/1/2007 at 17:51, mtclunes said:

Thanks John,

I had a look at the modern map (google earth) and its amazing that the features are still present. It lets me locate exactly where my great grandfather was killed.

They were in retreat at the time of his death and though it is known he was killed there - he has no known grave. I guess no time to bury him.

You can get a good "then and now" comparison here:

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16&lat=50.1647&lon=3.0494&layers=101465164&b=1

Just play with the slider for varying the transparency of the overlay.

• 3 years later...

Late reply on this topic, but just wanted to say my grandfather survived Tadpole Copse and got MC there. He was serving with London Scottish at that time. I have his original trench maps of this area as well as the Gommecourt area from the Somme battle of the previous year. Tony ( Retd Maj, living in Oregon).

• 5 months later...

Hi, my great grandfather was killed at Tadpole Copse on 3rd September 1918.  I'd be interested in any info/maps relating to this time.  He was with the Drake battalion of the Royal Navy Volunteer Reserve

@LittlePoll, if you go to tmapper.com and put tadpole into the search engine, you'll find a zoomable map of the area.  The scarring to the NW appears to be from Tadpole Lane - use the opacity slider to reveal features underneath the major trench lines.  Maps are courtesy National Library of Scotland and this one is from 21 September 1918.

image.png.2c5f233bce1dbc72e26b35ad8b3407a6.png

I don’t have any info on the RN bns. I  Will send you a scan of the trench map soon.

tony

See the map in the December 1917 War Diary of 153 Infantry Brigade, 51 Div. (Courtesy TNA WO 95/2873 - Ancestry p 444/646) Tadpole Copse in E 13.

Brian

43112_2873_0-00443.jpg

Edited by brianmorris547
additional info

4 hours ago, brianmorris547 said:

can not attach it for some reason.

The map Brian refers to is accompanied by a good narrative and free to download at the moment from the National Archives.

Title: 153 Infantry Brigade: Headquarters.
Order item number: 4713873
Catalogue reference: WO 95/2873/3
Price: £0.00

image.png.8c82aa2199019e493f748618ba28f797.png

On 05/08/2021 at 20:47, LittlePoll said:

Hi, my great grandfather was killed at Tadpole Copse on 3rd September 1918.  I'd be interested in any info/maps relating to this time.  He was with the Drake battalion of the Royal Navy Volunteer Reserve

See the map in the War Diary of 63 Div HQ General Staff (TNA WO 95/3097 Ancestry p 462/730). There is more info in the WD.

I can not attach this map either. Oh yes I can I reduced it in size.

Brian

43112_3097_0-00461.jpg

Edited by brianmorris547
additional info