Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Did the 1/8th Royal Scots train at Adderley, Shropshire?

steve fuller

Hi all

I have a photo of a Royal Scot in his uniform with the watermark Adderley at the bottom, suggesting to me that was where the photo was taken.

Did the 1/8th or other Btns train there please? It would be useful to know as it will help me clarify which man he is out of the 2 options I have!

Yours, with fingers crossed ... :ph34r:

Hi Steve

I had a brief look though the index of Major Ewing's book on the Royal Scots and there is no mention of Adderley. He states that the battalion had been at its annual summer training camp during July but he doesn't say where that was. With regards to the 8th RS and the beginning of the war he states that:

"The battalion, under Colonel Brook, left Haddington on the evening of the 2nd November and arrived at Southampton next morning. On the following day it embarked on the S.S. Tintorette and was taken to Havre, which was reached on the 5th."

Sorry I can't be of more help, but I'd thought I'd at least eliminate this book as a source for the info you are after.

Can I also say thanks for the info on the 1/8th RS you sent me. I'm most grateful.

Regards

LIT.

I have the 8th's War Diary for the duration of the war and they left Haddington on 2nd November,1914 pausing briefly ( a few hours) at Deptford before leaving for Le Havre via Southampton, and that was them until 1919, in France / Flanders.

There is no mention of Adderley I'm afraid, their summer training was spread between Stobs Camp near Hawick ,and around the Haddington area.

Thanks John

Appreciate that. I can only imagine he recovered and retrained there during the war then?

Interesting about Hawick - would you happen to know where their drill halls were at all, especially if there was one at Hawick or Selkirk as the man in question was born in the former and lived between the two.

Many thanks

Derek Robertson , a forum member is the man to ask about Stobs, he even has a website . Hawick is really outwith the catchment area for the Royal Scots, your are into KOSB country, incidentally pretty similar in appearance to the RS but bigger cap badge.

Just a suggestion but was there a military hospital near Adderley?

This might be the reason he was in the area, and fancied a photo to send home. Any chance of posting the photograph?

John

Hi all

I have a photo of a Royal Scot in his uniform with the watermark Adderley at the bottom, suggesting to me that was where the photo was taken.

Did the 1/8th or other Btns train there please? It would be useful to know as it will help me clarify which man he is out of the 2 options I have!

Yours, with fingers crossed ... :ph34r:

I'm afraid that Adderley as a placename is a complete redherring, guys. I've just been told about this thread and there are occasions when I feel quite embarrassed at having such a body of minutely useless knowledge about a time so long gone!

William Adderley was a professional photographer who was active in the Midlothian town of Penicuik before, during and immediately after the period of the Great War. As such, he executed the portraits of a great many local men - many of whom (naturally) were serving in the local county battalion of the Royal Scots - the 8th.

The explanation (as Conan Doyle might have put it) is elementary.

:lol: Well, well!!

Firstly, thanks John, head & shoulders posted below. I know he was gassed & recovered in Wishaw hospital and later served in the ASC around Shepards Hall, Craigneuk, By Wishaw. Will be interested to see if he was a Royal Scot after all, especially if the badge is similar...

Jack - thank you very much! :rolleyes: Adderley was a person, not a place then? Personally, Im glad there are people like you around! Full sized photo on the way

post-1637-1191173999.jpg