Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trenches 34,35 and 39

jainvince

Pte A Walkden died on 06.10.15 and is buried in Blauwepoort Farm Cemetery. According to a letter from a fellow soldier he was killed whilst sitting in a dugout. A forum pal has identified his location as near Trenches 34, 35 and 39 which I am assuming are near to Zillebeke because of where he is buried. Can anybody confirm just where these trenches were? An earlier search of the forum didn't help.

Bernard P

Hi guys,

The gazetteer in "Rats Alley" by Peter Chasseaud gives the location of Trench 39 as "28NW4 & NE3 Zillebeke I29c". It doesn't give the locations of 34 or 35 but 33 and 36 are both in the same area (I34 and I28 respectively) so 34 and 35 can't be far off.

Thanks for that supplementary information, much appreciated.

What is strange is that in researching some 60+ soldiers who died in the salient, there are certain locations which come up time and time again no matter what year the soldiers died, Frezenberg Ridge, Zillebeke, Bozinghe Ploegsteert etc are examples. Borry and Beck House Farms are particularly significant. I suppose this is to be expected knowing the size of the Salient but when you start researching is unexpected nonetheless.

Bernard P

Bernard

This map shows trench 34 (top right). The Canal is the Zillebeke-Commes, but I'll double check if thats right (and the spelling :blush: )

cheers

Mike

post-4619-1191310372.jpg

Correct spelling is Zillebeke-Comines (or 'Komen' in Flemish)

Roel

I've double checked and its actually the Ypres-Commins Canal that ran through the Bluff.

The Cemetery that's marked on the map might posssibly be either of the following

1) 1st DCLI Cemetery

2) Hedge Row Trench Cemetery

3) Woods Cemetery

But I've a feeling they are a little further North, even through two of the CTs are named Hedge and Wood - I'm open to suggestions

cheers

Mike

• 2 years later...
  • 12 years later...

I have cropped this 1915 map of Verbrandenmolen to show the trenches from St Eloi to Hill 60.

Courtesy TNA WO 95/1512 5 Div HQ GS June 1915.

Brian

1512.jpg

5 hours ago, David_Blanchard said:

Old thread but can someone tell me the attribution of the map? @mikebriggs

David  

I do not know that but TrenchMapper has a map that marks some of the numbered trenches.

Right click, choose Map ID Junp with ID= m_026229. That 1:5,000 map is marked "1st printing Co. R.E. (2).  810"

Howard

David - it comes from the History of the Robbin Hoods, by Officers of the Battalion and published in 1921

cheers

Mike

Mike,

thanks for this reply- this is reference map 5 are the other maps included equally clear?

David 

Hi David

Yes they are all of excellent quality - I can scan and email, might take a few days because away to moment. There are maps in the 5th, 7th and 8th Battalion Histories

cheers

Mike