Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Atlantic Convoys

LOCATING

I'm stuck with my search for the history of a particular Armed Merchant Cruiser, HMS Changuinola, after the Halifax, NS, Explosion in December 1917.

So I'm looking first for a good published and accessible account of convoys in general in 1918, especially in the North Atlantic. I know, from the service record of a Petty Officer Gunner, that Changuinola served somewhere until the very end of the war.

Can any kind researcher please suggest a good starting point?

i would be glad of some hints.

Thank you

LARKHILL

Larkhill

One of the obligatory checks when stuck is to do a search on this page -so much has been written about on a previous occasion !

Click on Search at top right and enter HMS Changuinola,you will get several items,including the mis-spelling of Changuinala,as well as reference to a book or two on the subject !

Best wishes

Sotonmate

Larkhill

One of the obligatory checks when stuck is to do a search on this page -so much has been written about on a previous occasion !

Click on Search at top right and enter HMS Changuinola,you will get several items,including the mis-spelling of Changuinala,as well as reference to a book or two on the subject !

Best wishes

Sotonmate

Thankyou Sotonmate. Have tried this but am still stuck. Nil desperandum! Was side-tracked by the sad fate of HMS Hawke. My grandfather had served on Hawke briefly 21/12/1910 to 18/1/1911; he was serving on HMS Edgar in the same squadron as Hawke when she was sunk by a submarine. Grim psychological pressure.

Regards Larkhill

The Changuinola was not released until 17/1/20.

Best wishes

David

Thank you David. How do we know this? Does the source give clues as to how she was emloyed 'on convoys'. Was she part of a squadron/group one can try to follow?

Kind regards Larkhill

LARKHILL, the date I gave came from "British Warships 1914-1919" by Dittmar & Colledge, and was included in a simple list of Armed Merchant Cruisers. It also states that in 1918 she flew the Pendant MI.35.

Best wishes

David