Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RANKING SYSTEM

Stephen White

your rank on the forum goes up,according to the number of postings you make.just how many ranks are there in the Army,on which this forum ranking system is based ??.

STEVEN :unsure:

I don't know about the rank system on this forum (it leap frogs a few), but in reality it depends on what regiment or corps you are in. There are many variations and names of equivalent ranks and sometimes there's a rank in one unit that doesn't have an equivalent in another.

To keep it simple, this is the absolute basic infantry structure (from the lowest):

Private

Lance Corporal

Corporal

Sergeant

Colour Sergeant.... These are the NCO ranks.

Company Sergeant Major (WOII)

Regimental Sergeant Major WO1)....These are the Warrant Officer ranks.

2nd Lieutenant

Lieutenant

Captain

Major

Lt.Colonel

Colonel..... These are the officer ranks usually still connected to the infantry unit.

Brigadier

Major General

Lieutenant General

General

Field Marshall....These are the General Officer ranks.

As I said, these are the absolute basics and there are many others equivalent or otherwise (even within the infantry).

Dave.

To add a few bells and whistles ........

I trust we are talking 1418. In which case, please note:

Lance Corporal is an appointment, not a rank, and may be paid or unpaid.

Add Lance Sergeant above Corporal, again, an appointment, and paid or unpaid.

The Colour Sergeants were appointed to be CSM or CQMS 1914, the CSM paid a little more for his trouble.

WO II not until 1915, and two possible appointments : CSM, or RQMS [RQMS senior, and better paid]

WO I: the only combatant infantry appointment was RSM

Full Colonels were not involved in the infantry battalion, but were almost invariably in staff appointments. They were not carried on the Regimental listing in the Army List.

Brigadier Generals only became Brigadiers after the war.

We might usefully add that Subalterns were both types of Lieutenant; and Field Officers were Majors and both sorts of Colonel, whereas Brigadier Generals were, well, Generals!

Chris

You don't make it clear whether you are a Unit, Deputy or Assistant Administrator.

These are, of course, grades of official in the Women's (later Queen Mary's) Army Auxiliary Corps.

Charles M