Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trench Map of Area around Wagram Farm

McBlain

I am looking for a map showing British trenches during 1916 in particular containing defence trench L2 which I believe was called Wagram Farm somewhere in the Ypres salient, possibly near Elverdinge and the Yser canal area. The map reference I think could be B23 a+e. My great Grandfather was killed in this trench in March 1916 and I would be grateful for any assistance in locating this area on a trench map.

• 2 months later...

Hi

I saw that you hadn't any replies as yet to your request so I had a look around. Wagram Farm is certainly in square B23 which is about 6 miles behind the front lines west of the Yser canal. Was your Great Grandfather in the artillery to be killed this far back or just extremely unlucky? Non of the trench maps I have seen show trenches in this area but if you send me PM I can send you images of the map for March 1916, one close up around Wagram farm and one showing its general position. If you already have all of this don't worry about contacting.

Cheers

Jim

The earliest map I could find with British Trenches on was dated 1918 of the area around Wagram Farm. The map I am attaching is dated June 1916, hope this helps.

John

post-1365-1198618631.jpg

L2 clearly shown on this extract, Kev. (map from the earliest in my access that has trenches for this area - May 1917)

Dave

post-357-1198626473.jpg

Hi John,

thanks very much for the map. My Great Grandfather was part of D Company 12th Rifle Brigade and died of injuries on 24.3.16. The war diary for 12 RB for that period up to 24th March 1916 suggests his Company were in reserve trench L2 map ref B23 a+e which seemed at that time to be a good distance away from the front line. However there is no specific mention of anybody being either killed or wounded on 24 March in the diary which makes me wonder whether the army injury records were correct. There were several incidents prior to 24th however, i.e earlier in March where men are mentioned as being wonded or killed. He is listed with 5 others on that day, but appears to have been the only one killed, with the others being wounded but able to join their units at a later date after hospitalisation. So this location seems a bit strange to the event, but I am grateful for your map extract.

Regards

Kev

The earliest map I could find with British Trenches on was dated 1918 of the area around Wagram Farm. The map I am attaching is dated June 1916, hope this helps.

John

Hi Dave,

many thanks for the map extract L2 is certainly marked on it.

Regards

Kevin

L2 clearly shown on this extract, Kev. (map from the earliest in my access that has trenches for this area - May 1917)

Dave

Kevin

It is possible that they had working parties out on the Canal bank. I had some men dying of wounds receiied when shells hit Marengo Dump. Where is he buried? as he amy have died of wounds some days after being wounded.

Stevem