Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

South Lancashire Regiment

Stephen Nulty

Can any Pals suggest a good book on the above, please?

I'm looking for something addressing the whole regiment, not any specific battalions.

The relevant History is 'Ich Dien' The Prince of Wales's Volunteers (South Lancashire) 1914-1934 by Captain H Whalley-Kelly Aldershot 1935. I do not know if it has been reprinted recently - some of the Lancashire histories have been. Somebody is bound to know.

Jack

Thanks, Jack.

I can see a few copies on Abebooks, so looks like I might be splashing out.

Guest Stephen Phillips

There is a lending copy in the Aldershot Library Military Collection, so you should be able to obtain it from them via your local library.

Regards,

Stephen Phillips (of Aldershot Library Military Collection!)

Thanks, Stephen, I'll check that out

There may be references in Divisional histories. For example, that of the 25th Division will give details of the 2nd Battalion - put 'em all together and you have the full story! I found Ich Dien a bit general, necessarily so since it has to cover a lot of ground.

Edwin

hiya steve.

not sure if its any use to you,but i have a list of officers+men from the 1/4th south lancs who were killed and wounded in the fighting,on june 16th 1915.

the list was posted at the drill hall,warrington on 22-6-1915

it gives name,rank and home address.

LISTED AS.

1 officer+28 men killed

9 officers+210 men wounded

12 men missing.

they all seem to be local lads from warrington

bernard

Bernard

That sounds really interesting and I'd be grateful for sight of the list.

Edwin

Interesting comment on "Ich Dien", so thanks for that. I have requested the InterLibrary loan suggested, so I'll see what it looks like first, then if I need more I'll take your tip of looking at the Divisional histories.

Stephen

Seeing as you're working only down the road, you could pop into Manchester Central Library (main reading room) and have a nosy at it. It's one they keep in the cellar so you have to fill in a slip to request it. Requests take about ten minutes or so.

The Library has a fine collection of regimental/battalion histories, BTW.

John

Thanks, John.

Seems strange that when I requested the Inter Library loan, they readily agreed to it. I wonder if they checked first if they actually have it !!!

I'll give them a ring........

John

The nice lady at the library has checked both the online catalogue and their older card-based index and cannot find any reference to this book in their collection.

Thanks for the tip, anyway. I'm just waiting for the interlibrary loan.

The card index system is the more accurate - the one by author name (rather than the standard Dewey one).

Perhaps I was mistaken about it being there. Or perhaps someone has nicked it to sit alongside their Lancs Fusiliers one that has definately been nicked.

John

• 3 weeks later...

Just been up to Manchester Central Library and picked up "Ich Dien", courtesy of Aldershot Library and the Inter-Library loan system.

Many hours of reading ahead of me, but if any body has any queries, let me know and I'll see what I can dig up.

Special thanks to Stephen Phillips for pointing out the option of loaning the book.

• 16 years later...

This may not be of interest but Brigadier Whalley-Kelly was my uncle. I have the original copy of 'Ich Dien' and a suitcase of memorabilia; service records, photographs and would be extremely grateful if these could find the right home.

22 hours ago, Whalley said:

This may not be of interest but Brigadier Whalley-Kelly was my uncle. I have the original copy of 'Ich Dien' and a suitcase of memorabilia; service records, photographs and would be extremely grateful if these could find the right home.

If you have anything specific to 1/5th SLR I'd be very interested in seeing it. 

I believe there are some very interesting document spanning Brigadiers Long service with the SLR and if they are of interest to you would be happy to let you browse through