Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

8th Bttn, Somerset Light Infantry

keggy65

I have copies of the above if useful to anyone.

Mabel

I would be grateful to receive a copy of this. M G/father was with a RFA Bge attached to the 8th Btn, SLI.

Thanks, Richard

I would be grateful to receive a copy of this. M G/father was with a RFA Bge attached to the 8th Btn, SLI.

Thanks, Richard

I'm not sure if it will help with the RFA side of things but can send you a copy of what I have if you PM me your address.

• 4 months later...

Yes, John, I do. With quite amazing help from members of this forum, I have a trench map pinpointing where he was killed (before, later, being taken to Cabaret Rouge Cemetery). The location was just to the rear of Cuthbert trench.

If you want to follow the results, search for 'Abel Joseph Beaver' and you'll be able to see the result (some in 'Soldiers' and some in 'Trench Maps').

Mabel

And your relative...?

Edit: Just tried the search and one for just "Beaver" works.

Hello Mabel. I've read all about Abel now. From very little you have built up quite a picture. Well done. The Pals are a great help indeed. My man was John Doran, a signaller, killed just west of Briastre. Unfortunately, the man recording his original burial spot put down an incorrect reference so I'll never know exactly where that was. You'll soon be off to France, I see. After all your efforts, it will be very satisfying to visit Abel's grave. Good luck. John.

John,

Sorry about pointing you to the other posts but thought it would be quicker for you than trying to re-tell the story. Glad you found it. It's a great shame about the recording of John Doran's burial spot - it must have been quite a disappointment to you. I'm looking forward (if that's the right word) to April and seeing the area in question as well as visiting Abel's grave - armed with the diaries, photos etc. It will be very moving I'm sure. Good luck too with your research - I'm sure the Pals will have the answers, their knowledge (and willingness to help) is just incredible.

Mabel

• 4 years later...

Hi Mabel

Myu Great Grandfather, Charles Holley Phippen was killed at Loos on 25th September so a copy of the war diaries would be superb!

thanks

Dav

Hi Dbaulch,

I have the diaries for the 8th SLI if you post a few more times you can PM me your Email and I'll send them along with the Report for the action on the 25th.

R'ds

Sajackr

Hi Sajackr

Thanks very much, will do

Dav