Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

QUEENS SOUTH AFRICA MEDAL

Stephen White

i wasn't sure where to post this question,as it does concern my great grandfather but not his WW1 service.

it appears prior to WW1 he saw service in South Africa in the 6th Militia Battalion,The Royal Warwickshire Regiment.he left the army when he got back to the uk in may 1901.

he was apparently entitled to the Queens South Africa Medal,with three bars.now i know nothing about medals,so do any of the medal collectors in the forum have one or an image of one that they could post on the forum.what do the three bars mean ?? and would Georges name have been on the medal ??.

now i know it says he was entitled to it,but how do i verify if he recieved it or not.i have seen mentions of medal award indexs !!!!.where are they kept,at the PRO i presume ??

STEVEN

THANKS to both of you tells me exactly what i wanted to know.my list of things to check at the PRO in febuary is growing !!.

STEVEN :)

Hi Steve

Check out > http://www.stephen-stratford.co.uk/boer_war.htm

"A total of 26 clasps were awarded with this medal, the maximum being 9 to the Army and 8 to the Navy (excluding the two date clasps). The medal was made from either silver or bronze and is 36 millimetres in diameter. The bronze QSAs issued to local troops, natives and the West Indian regiments. The QSA could be issued with no clasps."

From the attached picture, my Grandfather's QSA medal had four clasps, there are only three on the medal now, so I need to find out what the missing clasp is (I think it would be ORANGE FREE STATE, but need evidence!).

My Grandfather was in the Royal Warwickshire Regiment (RWR), but attached to the Mounted Infantry (MI), during the Boer War.

They got his number wrong as well, it should be 6323, not 6223 :

Queen's South Africa Medal with clasps

6323 Private Walter BARNETT

Inscription on rim of medal: (error in number! 6323 NOT 6223)

6223 PTE W.BARNETT. RL. WARWICK REGT M.I.

Inscription on Clasps:

Missing clasp?

SOUTH AFRICA 1902

SOUTH AFRICA 1901

TRANSVAAL

regards

Richard

post-3-1073920884.jpg