Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identifying Trenches and locations

keggy65

Hello all,

(Hope I've posted this in the right forum).

The postponement of a visit to Arras/Arlieux until next April gives me more time to research a relative's movements. I've downloaded the War Diaries and would now like, if possible, for some kind member/s to help identify the whereabouts of trenches/locations mentioned. These are (and I'm sorry it's a long list):

Station Road (West of Beaucourt)

Engine Trench

Ancre Trench

Bois d'Holland facing Pusieux Trench

Pusieux River Trench

Miraumont Alley

Neuve Chapelle

Village Line, Loos

Battery Valley

Orange Hill

Lone Copse Valley

Laurel Cam Effie/Trench

Hyderabad Work

Clyde Trench

Greenland Hill

Cuba Trench

Clasp Trench

Heron Trench

Cuthbert Trench

Whip Trench

Railway Copse

As I say, I'm sorry it's such a long list but identification of a few, some or any of these would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

Mabel

How do you want the answers presented, Mabel? Trench map references?

eg Hyderabad Work = Hyderabad Redoubt = NW of Roeux. Good enough?

Your example would be fine thanks Chris.

I don't think map references would help as I don't have any (but if someone has one/some of any of the areas and is prepared to post an attachment showing where it is/they are, that would be fantastic although I realise it would be a lot of work). I am, however, happy with whatever members can help with.

Mabel

Mabel, you could use the list John has kindly put together for you in conjunction with Dave's (a forum member here - 'Croonaert') excellent site. You should be able to find some maps there...

http://www.pathsofglory.co.uk/Trenchmap%20extracts.htm

Just been poring over (ordinary - Google) maps which has given me the sequence of locations so will now do as you suggest - this is really addictive, if very, very sad. Many thanks.

Mabel

I've downloaded the War Diaries

As a matter of interest where did you download your diaries from?

Len

I've downloaded the War Diaries

As a matter of interest where did you download your diaries from?

Len

Len

I downloaded from the National Archives - WO95 (2529 - The Somerset Light Infantry). Hope this helps.

Mabel

Just been poring over (ordinary - Google) maps which has given me the sequence of locations so will now do as you suggest - this is really addictive, if very, very sad. Many thanks.

Mabel

I don't think your sad mabel!

Guy

I don't think your sad mabel!

Guy

Some people wouldn't agree Guy!! Thanks for the vote of confidence though but what I meant was that finding where my man had been and what he (and, of course, the others) had been doing was sad - which I'm sure you knew really!!!

Just in case you're aware already - use the satellite view as well for some excellent results on Google maps. You can begin to draw the trenches onto these! Really helps to visualise and understand.