Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Canadian Hospital - Lemnos

MartH

Hi

In another thread there was a discussion about the Canadian Hospital's supporting the Gallipoli campaign, and the Canadian Official History , and now montbrehain has his holiday thread.

So here are the Scan's from "The Medical Services, by Sir Andrew Macphail" pages 295 - 299.

Regards,

Mart

scan0089.gif

scan0090.gif

scan0091.gif

For some reason I can only post links to 3 images, somebody please reply so I can add the others.

I can really believe it. It is very desolate barren place and the ground is covered with a very prickly type of plant similar to thistle. There are numerous wells on the island but I didnt see any in the camp area on the small penisula . I attach 2 pictures taken at Portianou and hope somebody else maybe able to add more. May they rest in peace as they are most certainly not forgotten "MO"

post-13272-1190742299.jpg

post-13272-1190742424.jpg

More scans

Regards

Mart

scan0092.gif

scan0093.gif

And from The Canadian Expeditionary Force 1962

scan0087.gif

Mart,

Many thanks for this thread

to which I would like to add the following

by General

SIR IAN HAMILTON, G.C.B.

IN TWO VOLUMES

VOL. II

NEW YORK

GEORGE H. DORAN COMPANY

"6th September, 1915. H.M.S. "Triad." Mudros. After breakfast sailed over to Mudros West; Lindley met me, also a host of doctors. Walked to No. 3 Australian Hospital with an old acquaintance whose Italian name slips my memory at the moment; then to No. 2 Australian Stationary Hospital; then to Convalescent Depot of Lowland Division. At 12.30 ran down to my launch and was swiftly conveyed to lunch on board the Europa with Admiral Wemyss. Such a lunch as a lost voyager may dream of in the desert. Like roses blooming in a snowdrift, so puffs and pies and kickshaws of all rarest sorts appeared upon a dazzling white tablecloth, and then—disappeared. We too had to disappear and sail back to Mudros West again. Horses were waiting and I rode to No. 18 Stationary Hospital and made a thorough overhaul of it from end to end; then tea with the Officers of No. 1. In No. 3 Australian General were eighty nurses; in No. 3 Canadian Stationary seven nurses; in No. 1 Canadian Stationary twenty-four nurses. Since Lady Brassey descended in some miraculous manner upon Imbros, they were the first white women I had seen for six months. Their pretty faces were a refreshing sight: a capable crowd too: all these Hospitals were in good order, but the sick and wounded in charge of the girls looked the happiest—and no wonder. The Canadian[Pg 169] Medicos are fresh from France and discoursed about moral. Never a day passed, so they said, in France, but some patient would, with tears in his eyes, entreat to be sent home. Here at Mudros there had never been one single instance. The patients, if they said anything at all, have showed impatience to get back to their comrades in the fighting line. We discussed this mystery at tea and no one could make head or tail of it. In France the men got a change; are pulled out of the trenches; can go to cafes; meet young ladies; get drinks and generally have a good time. On the Peninsula they are never safe for one moment (whether they are supposed to be resting or are in the firing line) from having their heads knocked off by a shell.

Returned to the Triad in time for dinner.

Admiral vexed as his motor boat has gone ashore. Bowlby is with it trying to get it off.

The French Admiral commanding the Mediterranean Fleet has just sailed in."