Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Turkish Artillery at Suvla-Bay

Kurt1959

During my research of the German contribution during the Gallipoli campaign I found the following report from Major Lierau, who got on 11 August 1915 the command of the artillery in the Anafartalar-Group (which was commanded by Mustafa Kemal at that time). I quote (and please forgive the weak translation):

"We were riding some 100m, when we saw bright and clear up to Imbros the British fleet on the darkblue sea just in front of us. In particular our view were attracted by the Suvla-Bay, which was packed with all kind of ships. Here we need only one thing - heavy artillery. But there was nothing! There was only one solution - to bring the artillery up front and direct behind the infantry positions. [...] In the map I saw the Ibrikdje-Valley, which showed a way from Klein-Anafarta direct to our infantry and I was sure, that in some of the sidevalleys I could expect some good positions for our howitzers [...] At 6 o'clock in the morning I gave with my first shot the signal to start the attack. The surprise worked. The firering was easy due to the good observation. very soon we had the first results: some ships cought fire, soem other were cranking, a big transporter needed to be pulled out and all ships, including the cruisers left the bay towards the sea. Even the two big battleships left but anchored out the reach of our artillery again and continued firing. But the traffic between the ships and the landing sides were stopped [...]

In the afternoon a 9cm battery of the GOEBEN under command of captain Knaab and with German navy artillery personal arrived. I had thought to give them a special task and gave them a position right on top of the hill, which was open and without any cover but to give them the opportunity for direct firing."

My question is: Is there any allied account about such an artillery attack on 12, 13 or 14 August 1915 and was there any reaction on the allied side, which could fit in this description?

Attached you see a handdrawn map from this report - the position K was captain Knaabs battery.

Thanks

Klaus

The report is from "The honour book of the German heavy artillery" II. Band, Berlin, 1934, page 277

post-22005-1190704337.jpg

Hello Klaus

My interest is in the 5th Btn of the Bedfordshire Rgt & I can help a little. They landed at Suvla early morning 11th August. On the 12th and 13th a few remarks about shells droning overhead have been made although they were inland and could not see where they were hitting. One shell fell on a group of Officers who all scrambled for cover, leaving several with their heads and shoulders in the dirt and their backsides sticking up in the air, which amused the men no end. Luckily for their backsides that one was a dud but the men were shrapnel shelled constantly on the 13th as they dug communications trenches, with many of them going overhead again.

Hope that helps a little, although its nothing definitive, sorry!

Steve

Hi Steve,

thanks and every bit helps! The turkish/german artillery in this case was, as I read it, directed against the ships in Suvla-Bay. Lierau describes also, that the allied naval artillery was firing back - of course - but the shells came short - probably some of them hit the own troops - friendly fire happend on both sides. The other shells, he said, went long and disappeared somewhere inlandish...

best regards

Klaus

Klaus,

The British Naval History by Sir Julian S. Corbett (vol III) is a little reticent on this matter

see page 104

"On the 12th [August 1915], while the navy was working its hardest at completing landing places and getting ashore the gear and supplies most urgently needed, and at the same time was evacuating the crowds of wounded, shrapnel began to rain on the supporting ships, and before they could get away they had suffered fifty casualties."

and that's all from Sir Julian!

However the attack was noted

best regards

Michael

Post Script;

I should have been more careful with my quote above

the correct title of the book is

'Naval Operations - History of the Great War, Based on Official Documents - Vol Three - By Sir Julian S. Corbett"

Edited by michaeldr

Michael,

thanks a lot - that helps a lot and is a confirmation, which I can use. By the way - in the naval part of the forum I raised another question under the topic "Churchills biggest blunder?" if the German Meditereanian Fleet (Breslau and Goeben) was intentionaly left in the Dardanelles by the British fleet. What is your opinion on that theory. I guess, there is no doubt about the impact those two ships had later...

thanx and best regards

Klaus

Kim,

as a recent post in Chit-Chat has proved, I cannot spell

so don't expect too much in morse

but here goes

--.- ..- --- - .: ...?

.--- .... .- - .. ... - .... .. ... .- .-.. .- -... --- ..- - .... . -.?

regards

Michael