Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Henry Scarlett

suefy

Does anyone have any information on Skipper Henry Scarlett? He sailed on trawlers out of Grimsby and also served on Minesweepers during WWI.

Hello Harry, Welcome to the Forum. I've nothing on him in the Great War but I think this is your man:

From the index to registers of sea fishing apprentices N.E. Lincs. Archives

SCARLETT Henry indentured: 20 Jul 1893 ref. BT150 / 51 / F

and a list of vessels he skippered 1903 to 1914 can be found Here just put Scarlett in the top search box!

Cheers, Terry

Terry, that is a really useful link.

It would appear that Henry Scarlett took over the Sardius in 1913 and presumably stayed with it into the war, because the next entry is for an N Scarlett.

harry, there were two trawlers with the name Sardius hired by the Admiralty:

1 Sardius, built 1892, 213 tons was hired from 12/14 to 11/18 and fitted with a 12 pdr gun. Duties not known.

2 Sardius, built 1900, 206 tons, hired from 6/15 to 13/2/18 when it was wrecked in Pendower Cove, near Tolpedon, Penwith. It was fitted with a 3 pdr gun and used for minesweeping. It was renamed Sardius II in 8/15.

Best wishes

David

David - Good to be able to contribute when I can. I think that N. could be a typo, the Skipper's ticket No. is the same.

Cheers, Terry

harry, following Terry's advice, it appears that the last boat Scarlett skippered before the war was named Slasher, which was subsequently hired by the Admiralty:

Trawler Slasher, built 1900, 195 tons, hired 7/15 to 1919, fitted with 1x6 pdr gun and used as a minesweeper.

Hope you are not totally confused by now, harry.

Best wishes

David

David and Terry

Thanks for the info, some of which I already knew and some of which was new to me. I'm sure you're right about the typo, Terry - there's another one on the NELincs site regarding Henry's ticket number. Was the info re the indenture on the same site? On searching the crew lists all I could find was info re the owners and the skippers, but no crew members.

Re the Slasher, I don't think Henry can have stayed with her as I see she was still in service in 1919 and I know at least two of Henry's ships were blown up during the course of WWI.

David - where did you get the info about the ships? Could the Sardius built 1900 have been one of ships referred to in my last paragraph.

Also, David, thanks for the info re Valhalla II.

Regards

Harry

Was the info re the indenture on the same site? On searching the crew lists all I could find was info re the owners and the skippers, but no crew members.

Harry - The Registers of Sea Fishing Apprentices 1880 - 1937 are kept in the N.E. Archives. I have an index of apprentice names, date indentured, and register/page number reference, in a database of some 6,842 records, hence:

SCARLETT Henry indentured: 20 Jul 1893 ref. BT150 / 51 / F

and another you might be interested in:

SCARLETT James, 15 Nov 1880, 208 / 1 / 1 / 63.

More info on this can be found on my website in my Forum signature below.

Regarding crew lists. An ongoing project to add them continues. (Slow job, one person, one day a week).

Cheers, Terry

harry,

The good news: the trawler info I quoted was from British Warships 1914-1919 by Dittmar & Colledge.

The bad news: whilst it is possible that the Sardius (1900) was one of Scarlett's minesweepers, there were many other options (in excess of 1300 trawlers were hired by the Admiralty, many of which were converted to minesweepers). The Admiralty also had their own minesweepers and he may have been on one those. The knowledge that he got blown up several times does not help either, as it happened to many of the minesweepers.

Assuming that Scarlett stayed with Slasher when she was hired (normal) he must have been moved for reasons unknown, because Slasher did not lose any men, ie indicating a "quiet" war.

Best wishes

David

Terry

Thanks for the reply. Will have a look at your site. Don't think James is one of mine, but you never know! I do have some records of (Charles) Henry's trips but they are obviously not complete, his first one being in 1893 but the next one I have is 1900. Hope your site can fill in the gaps.

Regards, Harry

David/Terry

Thank you for your replies - the info is much appreciated. I think I'll just have to keep checking the Crew Lists site and also your site, Terry, in case you are able to add J-Z entries for the Skippers.

I'll also keep checking the Great War Forum.

David - shame Henry didn't stay with the Slasher. Perhaps then he too could have had 'a quiet war'!

Thanks again

Harry

That is interesting John, because Tony's N.E. Lincs. Archives site (see above) does not show him on FITZROY until 1903.

Best wishes

David

David

I've checked above site and can only see FITTONIA for 1903.

Regards John

John/David

Thanks for your interest. I was aware of the 1901 census ref. Did you notice Henry's age compared to that of his crew? Some bloke eh?

And, yes, he was on the Fittonia in 1903.

Regards

Harry