Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rfn Ernest Groves R7559 1/KRRC d. Loos 29 Sep 1916

MBrockway

Incidentally, I take it that 'your' war memorial is the one which has just been damaged?

Gwyn

Pals,

You'll all be pleased to hear that when I drove past the Over Peover War Memorial this morning, there was a workman beavering away repairing the damage to the flagstone plinth.

It looks like the monument will be back in A1 order in time for the weekend :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Mark

Paving slabs taken yet again!!! This does seem to be becoming more regular these days not the occasional event as it used to be.

Andy

Mark,

In case you do not have Ernest Groves papers or they did not survive, looking at the KRRC Silver War Badge Rolls his enlistment would have been late Jan/early Feb 1915.

R/8135 enlisted 14/12/14

R/9331, 9/1/15

R/9648, 25/1/15

R/10157, 10/2/15

Andy

Mark,

In case you do not have Ernest Groves papers or they did not survive, looking at the KRRC Silver War Badge Rolls his enlistment would have been late Jan/early Feb 1915.

Andy

Andy and I have had another look at this off the board and come up with new dates for Rfn Groves.

From the SWB Rolls

R/7206 enlisted Mon 16/11/14

R/7614 enlisted Fri 20/11/14

Rfn Ernest Groves, R/7559, is therefore likely to have enlisted in that same week, with Fri 20th Nov as the most likely if the enlistments are spread evenly through the week.

Thanks for the help with this Andy - the SWB rolls are indeed very useful for this.

Cheers,

Mark