Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd London General Hospital, Chelsea, London SW

Jonathan D'Hooghe

I have a number of post cards around October 1915 addressed to my grandfather, 17964 Pte P J (Jim) D'Hooghe 20th Hussars, at No2 Ward, The 2nd London General Hospital, Chelsea. Later on there are cards addressed to him in 1916 at the eye infirmary on the Ropewalk, Nottingham. Nottingham was his home town.

My grandfather lived until 1979 minus his right eye and I remember him well but he would never talk about the war or his wound.

Does any one have any hospital records or does anyone know if they are available? I believe he went to France around Christmas 1914 and was obviously in hospital in London by Oct 1915. Therefore, I am trying to trace where he may have been wounded presumably in Aug/Sept 1915.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Jonathan D'Hooghe

There are a nmuber of RAMC experts on this forum who will add something to this but generally speaking the coverage of medical and hospital records of the RAMC at the NA is patchy or non-existent.....

I used to live in Nottingham and recall the Ropewalk and there was an eyehopsital still there in the late 90's.....

Peerhaps your best bet will be to see if your grandfathers service records exist in the 'burnt records' section at the NA....

Also to find out where his unit was serving at the time a forum member have have a copy of hte Hussars War Diary. Otherwise this should be at the NA