Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Transfer to the RFC

Southey

I am doing some research on my Great Uncle ; Captain Walter Alfred Southey RFC and RAF. I know that he won the DFC and Bar. The strange thing is he is described in various records as being South African. Walter was certainly born in England and was educated at Christ's Hospital School. ( I have the bible presented to him on leaving.)

I know his war started in the trenches, could he have adopted South African Nationality to expedite his transfer into the RFC ?

He survived the war but was killed not long after it in , I believe in a motorcycle accident; as yet I have no details about this.

Can anyone throw any light on this ?

Roger

Walter started off as a Private in the Royal Fusiliers (Service#6741) I see he transferred to the Royal Flying Corps in August 1916, he joined 48 Squadron in 1917. He joined 84 Squadron in April 1918.

"Becoming a flight commander during the summer of 1918, he narrowly escaped capture when he inadvertently landed his aircraft behind enemy lines. Flying the S.E.5a, Southey was credit with twenty victories."

WO 339/60875 might shed some more light on him and his nationality at the NA if it turns out to be his file, it's the only possible.

Hope some of this is new to you

Freddy

Walter started off as a Private in the Royal Fusiliers (Service#6741) I see he transferred to the Royal Flying Corps in August 1916, he joined 48 Squadron in 1917. He joined 84 Squadron in April 1918.

"Becoming a flight commander during the summer of 1918, he narrowly escaped capture when he inadvertently landed his aircraft behind enemy lines. Flying the S.E.5a, Southey was credit with twenty victories."

WO 339/60875 might shed some more light on him and his nationality at the NA if it turns out to be his file, it's the only possible.

Hope some of this is new to you

Freddy

Thanks for that. I did not know his regiment. The more I read the more I am inclined to think it was simply an error re his nationality, 84 sqn had South African pilots in it so the error might have begun there.

Roger

His RAF record should be in AIR 76/476 Soresby, Walter - Spear, Norman

Thank you for that. I'll give it a try.

Roger

Hello Roger

84 Squadron took part in the Battle of Amiens on 8-11 August 1918: the beginning of the "Hundred Days" which led to the Armistice. As a flight commander, his squadron commander was Major Sholto Douglas, who reached high command in the RAF in WW2. (The RAF was still using Army ranks at this time.)

Ron

Hello Roger

84 Squadron took part in the Battle of Amiens on 8-11 August 1918: the beginning of the "Hundred Days" which led to the Armistice. As a flight commander, his squadron commander was Major Sholto Douglas, who reached high command in the RAF in WW2. (The RAF was still using Army ranks at this time.)

Ron

Many thanks for that Ron. I'd love to have sight of his flying log for that time - family info says he was shot down four times himself ( I think that may include crashes - he had one whilst at the CFS that I know about.....

Roger