Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

minor ship losses

calvin

hello, can anyone tell me if there is a site which covers minor war ship losses such as trawlers and drifters for the first world war, thankyou, regards john

Hi John, I can help you with all vessels sunk around the Pembrokeshire coast if need be. I've not come across a single site that covers all UK wrecks,

cheers, Jon

Hi John, I can help you with all vessels sunk around the Pembrokeshire coast if need be. I've not come across a single site that covers all UK wrecks,

cheers, Jon

Hi John, this may help

http://www.naval-history.net/WW1RNLossesA-L.htm

Cheers Ron

thankyou both for your help, it,s appriciated, kind regards, john p.s have you come across a h m drifter called LICHEN that went down around 3 sept. 1918 off the coast of south shields, cheers john

thankyou both for your help, it,s appriciated, kind regards, john p.s have you come across a h m drifter called LICHEN that went down around 3 sept. 1918 off the coast of south shields, cheers john

Hello John

LICHEN was a Yarmouth drifter YH.728, 99/11. 1-3pr.AA. Hired 1914-19 and as a m/s 11/39. Harbour service 1941-9.46. Can find nothing on a sinking.

Regards John

Dittmar and Colledge WW1 gives:

HMS LICHEN, YH728,99 tons launched 1911, 1 x 3pdr AA, used as a patrol boat then a Hydro tender, requisitioned September 1914 returned 1920 and was also in WW2.

Colledge and Lenton WW2 gives:

HMS LICHEN, FY940, 99 tons launched 1911, requisitioned November 1939, used as a Mine Sweeper and returned 1945.

Aye

Malcolm

hello malcolm and john, thanks for info. the reason i thought she had gone down was that on the cwgc site it lists o,leary timothy, initial t, RNR aged 17, service no. 2089/sb, died 3 sept. 1918, south shields cemetary, this young lad was from cork in ireland and was obviously buried on the east coast so i thought the ship might have gone down there, any thoughts, regards, john

John, 4 men from the Lichen drowned on 3 Sep 1918 (inc O'Leary); no reason given.

Best wishes

David

Hi John, here are five men's names from the drifter LICHEN during WW1; note one died on a different day:

HEDGES, Stanley Stoker lCl RN SS.108171 © HMS Lichen killed 6.7.17

JAY, Arthur Albert Engineman RNR 521.ES HM Drifter Lichen 3.9.18

MUNNINGS, Maxwell Phillip Deckhand RNR 12098DA HM Drifter Lichen 3.9.18

O'LEARY, Timothy Signal Boy RNR 2089.SB HM Drifter Lichen 3.9.18

PORTER, Joseph Deckhand RNR 12857.DA HM Drifter Lichen 3.9.18

TURRELL, Herbert Deckhand RNR 16407DA HM Drifter Lichen killed 3.9.18

Cheers Ron

There was no reason for him to be buried in Ireland, he was serving on the east coast of England so that is where he was buried. There might be more on his service cards.

hello all, thankyou very much for your help, do you think they were washed overboard in heavy seas, the boat survived so that,s all i can think off, thanks again, regards, john

hello all, further to the list above stan hedges was killed on the hms itchen, not the litchen, it is the four who lost their lives on the 3/9/1918 which is off great interest, also i don,t see why the young irish lad could not have been buried at home, that would be down to the family, my grandfather died in north shields and was brought home, thanks for your help, regards, john

John, have not been able to get any further info on loss of 5 men. Looks like a dead end.

You seem to be convinced that Lichen was involved in some kind of accident itself, but have you considered that the men could have been lost in a boat accident, either going ashore, or more probably returning from a run ashore. Losses of men in boat accidents was quite common, judging by the records.

I have been informed that all 5 men were buried ashore.

Best wishes

David

John, have not been able to get any further info on loss of 5 men. Looks like a dead end.

You seem to be convinced that Lichen was involved in some kind of accident itself, but have you considered that the men could have been lost in a boat accident, either going ashore, or more probably returning from a run ashore. Losses of men in boat accidents was quite common, judging by the records.

I have been informed that all 5 men were buried ashore.

Best wishes

David

Yes, David is correct, lots of men died for various reasons, like accidents and falling overboard etc. There may be something in the ADM files at the Nat Archives at Kew, but you would have to spend some time searching them;)

Cheers Ron

hello david and ron, first, thank you both for the help, i have been trying to work this one out, five men all buried same cemetery off same ship, small drifter, crew of about 12, all die on same day, if they where in south shields dock, they would not have been on a run ashore in a small boat or would they? could there have been a fire, it,s the all buried bit which would lead you to believe they were involved in some kind of accident as all were recovered and buried, any further idea,s appriciated, regards, john

hello david and ron, first, thank you both for the help, i have been trying to work this one out, five men all buried same cemetery off same ship, small drifter, crew of about 12, all die on same day, if they where in south shields dock, they would not have been on a run ashore in a small boat or would they? could there have been a fire, it,s the all buried bit which would lead you to believe they were involved in some kind of accident as all were recovered and buried, any further idea,s appriciated, regards, john

Hi John

The Tyne was a hive of activity by all sorts of craft during WWI, including lots of warships, old sailing vessels and fishing boats, both powered and sail, so anything could have happened. There would not have been the same speed limit either. I've been in a diving RIB when ships have come into the Tyne and big waves almost capsize you, even today. It was one of the biggest and busiest ports in the world at the time. As I said before, maybe the PRO at Kew can help you, apart from guessing;)

Cheers Ron

thanks ron for that, i think your right, i shall try local papers as well to see if there is any mention, thanks john