Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Any Navy experts that can help?

Drummy

A WW2 question I know, differs greatly from my great war interests but a friend of mine's grandfather was a Royal Navy Defence equipped Merchant Ship gunner on the following ships (amongst others) and she is seeking some info:

SS Methil Hill 30th March 1944 until 4th Sept 1944 and then after time at DEMS Portsmouth served on the SS Bedenham 20th Sept 1944 until 18th Sept 1945.

Can anyone assist with details of the above two ships and places served during the periods mentioned.

Any held would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Neil

A WW2 question I know, differs greatly from my great war interests but a friend of mine's grandfather was a Royal Navy Defence equipped Merchant Ship gunner on the following ships (amongst others) and she is seeking some info:

SS Methil Hill 30th March 1944 until 4th Sept 1944 and then after time at DEMS Portsmouth served on the SS Bedenham 20th Sept 1944 until 18th Sept 1945.

Can anyone assist with details of the above two ships and places served during the periods mentioned.

Any held would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Neil

Hello Neil

I don't have her voyages, but have the ship's details etc:

The BEDENHAM (Official No.167577) was a 1,192-ton steam cargo vessel, completed as Yard No.428 in December 1938 by Ailsa Shipbuilding Co., Ltd., Troon; she was launched on 26 September 1938 for The Admiralty, London as Royal Fleet Auxiliary - armament store carrier

Dimensions of 218ft.7in x 36ft.2in and powered by a 3 cyl triple expansion steam engine.

She exploded and sank at Gibraltar on 27 April 1951, after fire broke out on a lighter alongside, while voyaging from Plymouth to Gibraltar with ammunition & stores.

The METHILHILL (note spelling) was launched as the ARKLESIDE (Official No.137246)

The ARKLESIDE was a 648-ton steam cargo vessel that was completed as Yard No.208 in December 1938 by W. Harkess & Son, Ltd., Middlesbrough; she was launched as the ARKLESIDE on 18 November 1914 for Wear Steam Shipping Co., Ltd. (Rose Bros. Managers), Sunderland. She measured 179.9 x 28.0 and was powered by an aft positioned 3-cyl triple expansion steam engine that used a single propeller and gave 9-knots.

In 1917 she was owned by Thomas Rose & Partners, Ltd., Sunderland

In 1922 she was renamed BAMBURGH by Tyne-Tees Steam Shipping Co., Ltd., Sunderland

In 1938 renamed METHILHILL by new owners Matthew Taylor, Methil.

She was broken up at Granton, in September 1954, by Malcolm Brechin

Cheers Ron

HI NEIL, SS METHIL HILL WAS BUILT IN WW1 AND NAMED ARKLESIDE, CHECK THIS LINK

http://warsailors.com/forum/read.php?1,9428,9552#msg-9552. regards tony

Yes you are correck Tony, I made a typo, it should have read ARKLESIDE was a 648-ton steam cargo vessel that was completed as Yard No.208 in December 1914 not 1938 ;)

Cheers Ron

ss bedenham photo and the cheif engineer in july 1943 was THOMAS HENRY CHATTERTON. tony

post-16856-1190383563.jpg