Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Post WW1 "Pilgrimages" to Gallipoli

oak

Pals,

I've just read Ian Hay's "The Ship of Remembrance: Gallipoli and Salonika." This, undated, book tells of the visit to Gallipoli - (Salonika only gets a brief mention) - by a group on board an unidentified ship during an unidentified year. I came to the book by way of "Gallipoli: A Battlefield Guide" by Phil Taylor and Pam Cupper. (I would highly recommend Taylor and Cupper to anyone visiting/interested in Gallipoli.)

Taylor and Cupper give the year of publication as 1926 (in a footnote) and 1927 (in the biliography). It would appear that the visit took place in 1926, with the book being published the following year. Taylor and Cupper identify the ship as the "Stella d'Italia." Unfortunately they don't give their source for this deduction. (I tried the internet but there are far too many places with the name - Am I correct in presuming it means "Star of Italy"?).

Anyway, this is all a long-winded lead in to my question. Does anyone know of any article/s or books on the topic of post-war pilgrimages to Gallipoli? (While I realise that -- strictly speaking -- visits today count as post-war, I am particularly interested in visits made in the 1920s and 1930s.)

Regards,

Philip

Does anyone know of any article/s or books on the topic of post-war pilgrimages to Gallipoli? (While I realise that -- strictly speaking -- visits today count as post-war, I am particularly interested in visits made in the 1920s and 1930s.)

Gday Phil,

For a slight antipodean flavour, get your hands on Bruce Scates' Return To Gallipoli: Walking the Battlefields of the Great War, Cambridge University Press: Cambridge, 2006 and Bart Zino's A Distant Grief: Australians, War Graves and the Great War, University of Western Australia Press: Crawley, 2007. Both are available through Amazon.

Cheers,

Aaron.

Another couple I can think of that might relate are:

The Gates of Rememberance (I think that's it's name)

Right Turn at Istanbul

Cheers,

Tim L.

For a slight antipodean flavour, get your hands on Bruce Scates' Return To Gallipoli: Walking the Battlefields of the Great War, Cambridge University Press: Cambridge, 2006

I read this on the plane going over to Gallipoli this year and thought it was an excellent treatment of the subject. Can thoroughly recommend it.

Many thanks Aaron (twice!), Tim, Paul, Peter and Ian,

I appreciate you taking the time and trouble to bring those books and the website to my attention.

Regards,

Philip