Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

tunnellers

emz82

hi there,

Im currently researching my dissertation on tunnellers of the first world war on the western front. Ive got quite alot of information but obviously the more I have, the better my project will be. If any one has a keen interest in this area, and may be able to answer any questions I may have on the topic over the next few months, please contact me. I find this topic intriguing and want to learn as much as possible.

Thanks,

Emily

Emily,

There is a good video on the work of the Durand Group at Vimy Ridge called "One of our Mines is Missing" see http://www.fougassefilms.co.uk/

There are several volumes which cover the topic of mining.

War Underground by Alexander Barrie

Tunnellers by Grieve and Newman

I believe that both are currently in print in one form or another.

I can heartedly recommend them both as complementing each other.

Beyond that there are various maps war diaries and other records of tunnelling companies at the NA (formerly the PRO) at Kew.

Hope this helps.

Martin

If you are more interested in tunnelling operations in general, rather than particular operations, you might find it convenient to browse the on line Canadian War Diaries at http://www.archives.ca/02/02015202_e.html

This sample is from the 1st Canadian Tunnelling Company in the Ypres Salient in 1916. If nothing else, browsing this stuff will give you an idea of what type of documents to consult next. (Of course, you may already be experienced with the War Diaries).

post-20-1073858318.jpg