Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lieut E W Bowyer-Bower RFC

Ravrick

Hi, I am trying to research the following RFC officer who was killed in WW1 - Lieut Eldred Wolfenstan Bowyer-Bower RFC KIA 19/03/17, can anybody help with some information? Thanks in advance, Rick

Rick

The Times 1- 8th May 1917

CAPTAIN ELDRED WOLFERSTAN BOWYER-BOWER, East Surrey Regiment and R.F.C., reported missing, on March 19, now reported killed, aged 22, went up for the Sandhurst examination when war with Germany was contemplated and not wishing to lose time in waiting for the result applied for a commission in the Special Reserve Battalion of the East Surrey Regiment, and was gazetted a second lieutenant on August 15, 1914. He went to the front on May 1, 1915 and was in the trenches and heavy fighting up to March 1916, when he was attached to the R.F.C. He remained at the front as an observer and flying officer until August, 1916, when he came home to take his pilot's certificate. He returned to the front on February 27 last. He was the son of Captain and Mrs. T. Bowyer-Bower, of 30, Bramham-gardens, South Kensington, and Ashanti, and grandson of the late Major-General Henry Bower, and a member of the ancient Dorset family "The Bowers of Iwerne." He was educated at Wootton Court, near Canterbury, and Haileybury. Captain Bower's beriddled machine and body (and that of his observer) were found and recovered by his father on May 10. His commanding officer writes: "Your son was a magnificent fellow, universally liked by all the fellows in the squadron, and I was myself particularly attached to him. He is a very great loss to us and we all feel it very much indeed."

Regards

Pam

From the Haileybury Register

Born on the 8th of June 1894 father's name Thomas address given in 1908 is 29 Woodville Road Ealing He entered Haileybury in September 1908 and was in Batten House also says that he was a Captain in the E Surreys

I'd have to dig deeper because my notes on the reason for A4165's loss are at variance with published accounts in Grub Street books.

A4165 At Narborough 14.2.1917 for 'A' Rep Sqn EF. Re-allotted to 59 Sqn and LIA 19.3.17 Capt EW Bowyer-Bower & 2Lt E Elgey on Patrol near St Leger - the a/c was hit by AA fire, crew KIA.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there,

If you look in "Under the Guns of the German Aces" by Norman Franks and Hal Giblin (Grub Street) you will have a very detailed history of Bowyer-Bower's career and demise. The tale of the father finding the son's grave is VERY sad indeed!

Regards,

Trebrys.

• 4 months later...

I am in the middle of Peter Hart's 'Bloody April' and just got to the bit where he described Bowyer-Bower's death - you may want to read this as it is an excellent history of the background covering training of the RFC and the context of the battle he died in.

Alan