Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bonner V.C. R.N.R.

Sue S

Can anyone tell me anything about HMS 'Aviator'. I am doing some research on Charles George Bonner V.C. D.S.C. R.N.R.

and he was Captain of the Aviator for a very short while at the end of 1918.

I would also be interested to know something of the wherabouts of HMS 'Hermione' from 13-2-15 to 31-12-15 and HMS 'Thetis' from 1-1-16 to 8-2-17. His training book says that he served on those ships on those dates. According to his family he worked on minelayers during that time. Would either ship be engaged in that kind of operation. Thanks

Hello Sue, welcome to the forum.

Aviator was a coaster of 435 grt, built 1907, and hired as a Store Carrier by the Admiralty from 16-10-1914 to 21-1-1919. It was part of the Royal Fleet auxiliary.

Best wishes

David

The old cruiser HERMIONE was a depot ship for patrol vessels at Southampton. The THETIS was an old cruiser which had been converted to a minelayer in 1907. She was used as a depot ship 1916/1917 and eventually expended as a blockship at Zeebrugge in 1918.

Can anyone tell me anything about HMS 'Aviator'. I am doing some research on Charles George Bonner V.C. D.S.C. R.N.R.

and he was Captain of the Aviator for a very short while at the end of 1918.

I would also be interested to know something of the wherabouts of HMS 'Hermione' from 13-2-15 to 31-12-15 and HMS 'Thetis' from 1-1-16 to 8-2-17. His training book says that he served on those ships on those dates. According to his family he worked on minelayers during that time. Would either ship be engaged in that kind of operation. Thanks

Thanks for your info and welcome. I have just been reading a letter to Bonner from Admiral Bayley dated 1916. He describes 'Aviator' as " a small steamer being fitted out to act a moveable base for four seaplanes". There is nothing in his papers to suggest that Bonner was on Aviator in 1916, only in 1918. Admiral Bayley describes it as a new idea. Does anyone have any information about this 'new idea'.

Hello Sue, do not know much about AVIATOR / HERMIONE etc, but here's something re Bonner ;

BONNER Charles G DSC Lt. RNR 83P162 & 163 Dunraven Vice Admiral Queenstown

02.11.17 G Action with enemy submarines 08.08.17 VC

Their Lordships' appreciation expressed of the magnificent discipline and gallantry displayed by on the 8th August, 1917, in an action with an enemy submarine. H.M. the KIng has been pleased to state that "greater bravery than was shown by all officers and men on this occasion can hardly be conceived". Lieutenant Bonner having been blown out of his control station by the first explosion of a depth charge due to shell fire, crawled back into the 4" gun hatch with the gun's crew ( 6 men) were well aware that it was only a matter of time before the magazine and depth charges below them would explode, and they remained there until it happened. The gun was shifted bodily, and the gun's crew were blown up in the air, one man being blown overboard, but fortunately none of them were killed, and only four wounded.

Must be `your Bod ???

KOKO Sadsac

Hello again Sue, more re Chas Bonner ;

BONNER Charles G N/E Lt. RNR 83P115 Pargust Vice Admiral Queenstown

20.07.17 N/E Action with enemy submarines 07.06.17 DSC

On the 7th June, 1917, when Pargust sank an enemy submarine, he was in charge of two guns

which he worked most efficiently.

Their Lordships' high commendation expressed.

Seems he served on more ships than you have posted !!!

Regards Sadsac

Hello again Sue, more re Chas Bonner ;

BONNER Charles G N/E Lt. RNR 83P115 Pargust Vice Admiral Queenstown

20.07.17 N/E Action with enemy submarines 07.06.17 DSC

On the 7th June, 1917, when Pargust sank an enemy submarine, he was in charge of two guns

which he worked most efficiently.

Their Lordships' high commendation expressed.

Seems he served on more ships than you have posted !!!

Regards Sadsac

Thanks for the info. I am attempting to put 'some flesh on the bones' of Bonners service record and Aviator, Hermione and Thetis are his ships which I know least about, hence the request for info. Sue

The Pargust was a Decoy ship which also used the names Friswell, Pangloss, Snail and Vittoria at various times and was taken into service on 22/3/17. A former collier, built 1907, 2,914 grt, it was armed with concealed weapons: 3x4 in, 4x12 pdr, 1x11 in BT and 4x18 in TT. On 10/17 it was loaned to the USN until 4/18.

Best wishes

David