Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trench Map request

Verrinder Ian

Hello,

A bit cheeky I know, but does anybody have a scanned copy of the above map they could send me? I have some co-ordinates for a couple of old tank camps I'd like to visit next week but they're just off of the maps I have. They're in the area of Ouderdom and Voormezeele, which I think are covered by the above map.

Regards,

Ian.

Hello,

A bit cheeky I know, but does anybody have a scanned copy of the above map they could send me? I have some co-ordinates for a couple of old tank camps I'd like to visit next week but they're just off of the maps I have. They're in the area of Ouderdom and Voormezeele, which I think are covered by the above map.

Regards,

Ian.

I and many others can post the bit you want from the system on my name link.

Please be more specific about the area you are looking for and I will see if I can post it for you.

I have four editions of the map 28NW3 you are looking for.

Ed 2 03-1917

Ed 3 07-1918

Ed 3A 24-05-1918

Ed 3B 11-07-1918

Last two show trenches.

Guy

Guy,

Thanks for the reply.

I'm looking specifically for the following locations which were all in existance in July 1917. The unit I'm researching is B Battalion, Tank Corps:

- (New) Elton Point, which I think was located at I.31.d.3.7

- New Camp just north of a small village named St. Hubertshoek

- Lyonsberg Camp, which was situated in a grass field about 1000 yards due West of Vierstraat

I have a document giving a grid reference of S.12 Central for one of the camps. The document doesn't give a name but I suspect it is either New camp or Lyonsberg.

Any help locating these would be grately appreciated.

Regards,

Ian.

OK this is not straightforward.

Firstly

- (New) Elton Point, which I think was located at I.31.d.3.7

First problem is that I.31 is not on 28NW3

it is actually south of Ypres on 28NW4 here:

post-12226-1190318304.jpg

I have a document giving a grid reference of S.12 Central for one of the camps. The document doesn't give a name but I suspect it is either New camp or Lyonsberg.

S12 Central is on the Baillieul map 28SW3, and appears to be Wormlow camp.

Here:

post-12226-1190318903.jpg

- Lyonsberg Camp, which was situated in a grass field about 1000 yards due West of Vierstraat

Sorry,

havent yet found Vierstraat, it certainly is not on 28NW3 (does anybody know where it is near?

Still looking

Hope I've helped.

Guy

Guy,

You've just cleared up several long standing queries in one go - thanks alot!

1. I knew New Elton Point was somewhere round Voormezeele but not exactly where - probelm now solved.

2. I knew that B Battalion Tank Corps had a camp in the region of Ouderdom/Dikkebus but again I didn't know where. However, the key for me is you've pinpointed where the railway sidings were which means the tanks would have been close by.

3. The Camp at S12 was called Giles Camp by B Battalion. I had found the railway but couldn't pinpoint the camp. I hadn't realised that I had the map reference all along (S12) - I should have got that one earlier but I didn't know they were so far south on the date the reference was given!

By the way I've found Vierstraat at N.11 Central on a 1916 map but it doesn't show Lyonsberg.

Thanks very much for your help it's been invaluable. I'm off to the area on Monday and now know exactly where to go.

Cheers,

Ian.

"By the way I've found Vierstraat at N.11 Central on a 1916 map but it doesn't show Lyonsberg".

Ian.

I've just checked28SW2 15x 10,000 scale editions and 28SW 11x 20,000 scale no Lyonsberg.

It is not in Rats Alley either, i've checked.

but there is a camp marked, and some sidings to the west.

here:

Kind regards

Guy

post-12226-1190324227.jpg

Guy,

With a bit more delving into the battalion diary I've come up with a map reference of N10.d.5.9. Although, it's not linked to a camp name in the diary it's near enough to be the location of Lyonsberg. The following extract from the diary shows that the name was very much a "tank" name and maybe didn't last long enough to make it onto a proper map:

"On the 21st No.6 Coy. moved its fighting tanks to LYONSBERG CAMP, situated in a grass field about 1000 yards due West of VIERSTRAAT. This camp had previously been used by “A” Battalion during the MESSINES Operations, and derived its name from the Commanding Officer Lt-Col P. Lyon."

To me the reference would put the camp just off the road north of Godezonne Farm, which now has a CWGC cemetery of the same name nearby. I shall visit it on Monday.

Thanks again for your help.

Regards,

Ian.

• 2 months later...

Iodine siding seems to be just north of Klein Vierstratt CWGC cemetery; I guess that it must have been the site of a CCS or something similar

S