Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Interpretation of Record Card

huytonhoofer

Would anyone be able to offer help in deciphering the record of my Great Uncle K30807 Arthur James Robinson?

He died of pneumonia on 7/11/1918 whilst in service. I'm totally lost off with aspects of naval service and am struggling to understand the record.

Under ships he is listed as serving on the following:-

Victory II

Heola ( Cockatrice)

Apollo ( --- " ------)

Gibraltar ( ----"----)

Are these ships? I understood that he passed away whilst serving on HMS Cockatrice, or are the names listed a particular class of ship, i.e Cruiser / Destroyer?

Whilst I can understand the from and to dates of service what do the numbers under "List" such as 12D32 mean and under "No" 998, signifies what?

It would also appear that in 1917 he "cannot be spared to return to former civil employment" This was alongside a code number of N15690/18. Did he request to leave the service?

Finally there is also a number P/13529/18 with D.D. 7th Nov 1918, Pneumonia. Can I assume that D.D. means Death on Duty.?

Apologies for this long winded and somewhat confusing post but I'm confident that the knowledge on this forum will be able to help me out in some way.

Thanks

Jack

Jack, welcome to the watery section.

Arthur James Robinson did die whilst serving on HMS Cockatrice, a destroyer, built 1912, 951 tons, sold 9-5-1921.

The Heola, Apollo and Gibraltar were depot ships to which the destroyer flotilla in which Cockatrice served were attached.

DD is usually interpreted as "Discharged Dead."

I am sure someone else will be able to resolve your other queries.

Best wishes

David

David

Thank you very much. Thats an excellent start and makes it a lot clearer.

"Discharged Dead" , couldn't put it any simpler could they?

Jack

Jack

List and Number

Each ship had a ships book (Ledger) for pay and allowances this was divided into lists by department IE seamen, stokers etc. each man was given a number on his list. Known as his 'ships book number', he would have to quote this number when collecting his pay.

Regards Charles

It would also appear that in 1917 he "cannot be spared to return to former civil employment" This was alongside a code number of N15690/18. Did he request to leave the service?

It is more likely that his former employer had applied to the government for some of his ex-employees to be sent back; probably a war-related industry (ship-building, munitions, etc). A lot of men were discharged "returned to civil employment" but were always liable for recall. In this man's case, he could not be spared. His record should indicate what his civil employment was.

The Fleet Air Arm Museum has his enlistment papers.

N15690/18} P/13529/18} These numbers look like references to Admiralty letters, unfortunately they probably no longer survive although, they should have been digested. Those digests are in ADM 12 and there should be at least one entry in the ADM 12 indexes for your great uncle.

Picture and this description http://www.battleships-cruisers.co.uk/dest...before_1900.htm

"HMS Cockatrice 8th November 1912 Joined the 4th Flotilla on completion and served with the Grand Fleet on the outbreak of war. Summer 1916 she was at the Humber, moving to Portsmouth later and then in 1917 to Devonport. Sold for breaking in May 1921. "

Thank you all for the wealth of information provided. It helps me have a much greater understanding of how things worked.

Darren Brown, in answer to your question, West Hartlepool, Co. Durham ( as then was) D.O.B. 5th May 1896.

Jack

Hello Jack,

For Heola read Hecla, depot ship at Chatham & Buncrana.

Regards,

ARABIS.

Arabis, thankyou. Copperplate writing with a thick nib plays all kinds of tricks to the untrained eye.

Jack

Jack, the letter K prior to his number gives that he was rated as `Stoker'.

This would point to his being required by `other concerns' - he being `Engineering',

but conversly would also mean that he was much required by the R.N. !!!

Regards Sadsac

Jack, the letter K prior to his number gives that he was rated as `Stoker'.

This would point to his being required by `other concerns' - he being `Engineering',

but conversly would also mean that he was much required by the R.N. !!!

Regards Sadsac

Very many thanks Sadsac. All this helps me to put a family picture together.

Jack