Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

NZRB Transfer No 1 NZ Devl Emp Co

nutthatch

My grandfather served in the New Zealand Expeditionary Force.

Initially he was in "F" company of 8th reinforcements sent to Egypt arriving in Suez on 20/12/1915 on board SS Willochra.

He was then transfered to "D" company 2nd battalion of 3rd Rifle Brigade and went to France.

After a spell in 3rd Australian General Hospital he was attached to NZ ?&GB Depot and then returned to his unit

Then he was transfered to what I have interpreted from his records as No 1 NZ Devl Emp Co

Does anyone know what "NZ ?&GB depot" and "No 1 NZ Devl Emp Co" are? And what they got up to?

Richard

Hello Richard

I think the first abbreviation should be NZ I&GB Depot. This was the New Zealand Infantry and General Base Depot, which was the distribution unit which received reinforcements and passed them to the units which needed them. Other contingents separated Infantry Base Depots from General Base Depots, the latter handling all troops other than infantry.

The other unit is the 1st NZ Divisional Employment Company. There was a Labour Corps unit in each division which looked after laundries, baths, cinemas, the concert party, and basic housekeeping within the division. The men were mostly of lower medical category so it seems likely that your grandfather was either wounded or had an illness. Does this fit with what you know?

Ron

Ron

Thanks a lot. That all makes sense now, I was having trouble reading the hadwriting on his documents.

I believe he was gassed, probably at Messiens, which fits because he doesn't seem to have seen front line action since then.

Richard

Mate,

These base depots in France were used as a holding unit for soldiers who either were reinforcements or for those returning to France from wounds or illness but were not 100% fit.

The soldier could remain in the base depot for some time untill fit to return to his unit.

The aussie's had a similar unit which also did the same job and held soldiers from all AIF Bn's from all Div's.

No dought the NZ BD also did the same for its units and Div.

S.B

Nuthatch,

Welcome to the Forum. Can you please clarify for me what dates your Grandfather served in the 2nd Btn of the NZRB. I have researched this unit and I may be able to assist with movements and actions of the unit while your Grandfather was a member. You mention he was gassed at Messines, let me know if you want more info of their movements and actions at this battle.

regards Aaron.

Whilst with the Div Emp Coy, was he part of the mutiny in October 1918?

Also, check out the date, as February 1918 saw all NZ troops of alien parentage (ie, German parents, but NZ born) posted to the Div Emp Coy.

Aaron

My grandfathers dates are as follows, it was formatted into 4 columns but it seems to have lost that on the import - hope you can make sense of it all.

He was born in England and went to NZ to help on his aunts farm (Korito, New Plymouth) before the war. He then enlisted in NZ and served as follows. When he was demobalised he went back to his English family and met my grandmother - he could never convince her to move to New Zealand so they stayed in Burton on Trent for the rest of their lives.

Regards

Richard

Date Activity Regiment Rank

28/08/15 Posted “F” Company 8th reinforcements Private

20/12/15 Disembarked “SS Willochra” Suez “F” Company 8th reinforcements Private

06/02/16 Arrived from base and posted to “D” company 2nd NZRB - Ismailia “D” Co, 2nd Batt. 3rd NZRB Rifleman

06/04/16 Embarked for France – Alexandria “D” Co, 2nd Batt. 3rd NZRB Rifleman

30/05/17 Detached to 2nd ANZAC Ref camp “D” Co, 2nd Batt. 3rd NZRB Rifleman

18/06/17 Rejoined unit from 2nd Anzac R??? camp “D” Co, 2nd Batt. 3rd NZRB Rifleman

17/07/17 Admitted to No 3 NZ field ambulance “D” Co, 2nd Batt. 3rd NZRB Rifleman

17/07/17 Admitted to No 2 Australian Casualty Unit “D” Co, 2nd Batt. 3rd NZRB Rifleman

17/07/17 Admitted hospital (sick) “D” Co, 2nd Batt. 3rd NZRB Rifleman

19/07/17 Admitted to 3rd Australian Gen Hospital (sick), Rouen “D” Co, 2nd Batt. 3rd NZRB Rifleman

02/08/17 Transferred from 3rd Aust. Gen Hosp to 5th Convalescent depot “D” Co, 2nd Batt. 3rd NZRB Rifleman

28/08/17 Attached NZ I&GB Depot, (Infantry and General Base depot) Etaples “D” Co, 2nd Batt. 3rd NZRB Rifleman

28/08/17 Discharged from Convalescent Depot to Base, France “D” Co, 2nd Batt. 3rd NZRB Rifleman

27/09/17 Posted to Ex:(RJB 1st NZ Divisional Employment Company Rifleman

27/09/17 Transferred to 1st NZ Divisional Employment Company and posted to strength 1st NZ Divisional Employment Company Rifleman

29/11/17 Proceeded on leave 1st NZ Divisional Employment Company Rifleman

12/12/17 Rejoined form leave 1st NZ Divisional Employment Company Rifleman

28/01/18 Leave 1st NZ Divisional Employment Company Rifleman

05/02/18 With Unit 1st NZ Divisional Employment Company Rifleman

30/03/18 Attached N.Z. I&GB to Ex Unit, Etaples 1st NZ Divisional Employment Company Rifleman

30/03/18 Attached strength, Etaples 1st NZ Divisional Employment Company Rifleman

01/04/18 Marched out to ?????, Etaples 1st NZ Divisional Employment Company Rifleman

02/04/18 Returned unit from base 1st NZ Divisional Employment Company Rifleman

02/04/18 Rejoined unit from base 1st NZ Divisional Employment Company Rifleman

15/10/18 With Unit 1st NZ Divisional Employment Company Rifleman

04/01/19 Proceeded on leave 1st NZ Divisional Employment Company Rifleman

28/01/19 Returned in UK ex leave 1st NZ Divisional Employment Company Private

28/01/19 Transferred to W PD Sling (Sling camp was on Salisbury plan near Bulford/Amesbury Private

25/03/19 Discharged in UK demobilised E Z Form “Very Good” Private

26/03/19 Demobilised EFF Very Good Authority reference Corporal Cable Private

By this do you mean the troubles at Sling Camp resulting in the Kiwi (which he seems to have missed), or is this something else. Please see his dates in a separate reply

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Great info, form what I can tell he would have taken part in two major battles over his time with the NZRB, the Somme Battle in September 1916 which the NZRB had a limited role. And the Battle of Messines in early June of 1917. I will look up the units activities for you and post here in the next couple of days.

cheers Aaron.

• 12 years later...

Aaron

Time passes so quickly!!!

I am in the process of writing a life story of my grandfather Walter Thorpe and I am now considerably more interested in finding out about his time in the NZEF.

As a result i came across this topic that I posted many years ago.

I note that in your last post you offered to dig out some information on the activities of the 2nd battalion 3rd NZRB.

Are you still willing to do this? Seems that it might be a bit cheaper than getting Archway to copy the units war records for me

Best

Richard

• 1 month later...

Most of the war diary for the 2nd Battalion of the 3rd New Zealand Rifle Brigade, from 1 July 1916 to 31 July 1918, has been digitized and can be downloaded using the link below:

https://www.archway.archives.govt.nz/ViewFullItem.do?code=21124585&digital=yes

The war diary is quite sparse compared to most of the British Army ones that I have seen, so I am not sure if this is everything, or only a selection of entries.

There is also a unit history of the New Zealand Rifle Brigade available through the New Zealand Electronic Collection at Victoria University.

http://nzetc.victoria.ac.nz/tm/scholarly/tei-WH1-NZRi.html