Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

hm drifter glow

calvin

hello all, i know this might be wrong but can anyone tell me anything about the hmd glow, she served in ww2, i have a photo but no details of her size, armament, duties etc. any help really appriciated, regards, john

Admiralty Steel Drifter, 90 tons gross, 93.5(overall) x 86 (between perpendiculars) x 18.5 x 9.25 (depth of hold) feet.

199 tons (displacement (deep)) TE 270 ihp = 9 knots.

Admiralty Number 3980, launched 21/11/1918 (delivery date) by Hall, Minesweeper, sent to Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries 13/11/1919, same name in WW2.

Dittmar & Colledge

Some two hundred and eighty drifters were ordered during the First World War about a third were of wooden construction and a further hundred, also of wood, were ordered in Canada and numbered C1 - 100.

Of these at least six were cancelled, one hundred and three were completed as commercial drifters and the bulk were sold out between the wars. By 1939 only twenty four remained in service, but some sixty were re-aquired by the Royal Navy out of a total of about five hundred drifters reqesitioned for the Second World War.

In WW2 Port Number FY964, requisitioned December 1939, minesweeper armed with a 6 pounder gun, returned November 1945.

Lenton & Colledge.

Neither has a photo, sorry.

Aye

Malcolm

hello malcolm, thankyou for information, it is exactly what i wanted, i have a photo, there was one on the imperial war museum collections site, thanks again malcolm, it,s appriciated, regards, john

hello donny, thanks for that, take care, regards, john