Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Highest casualty rates

Dawson

Whilst reading many books, regarding battalion losses,and reading conflicting accounts on which battalion suffered the most , i was wondering which battalion had the most killed in a single engagement, not wounded or pow just killed on the battlefield.

Thank you,

Ian

P.S Thanks for all your suggestions on books i should own, I,m in the process of buying quite a few (but don't tell the wife)

:rolleyes:

I researched the 28th Division and 27th Division regarding the Batlle Of Frezenberg during 2nd Ypres. The results were unbelievable.

In the 27th Division the Princess Patrica's Canadian Light Infantry had, on the 8th May 1915, very high casualties. I have no exact figures of them but I can assure you that, when studying the registers of the Menin Gate, a lot of them are on the register.

In the 28th Division one Battalion had extremely high casualty figures: the 2nd Bn. King's Own Royal Lancaster Regiment. It was almost completely anihilated. The 83rd Brigade, of which it was part of, was already several days in the line but on the 8th May casualties were extremely high. For the 2nd King's Own alone the total killed that day were: 313. Only seven have a known grave the rest is commemorated on the Menin Gate.

Soldiers died gives a total of around 1600 men killed that day. Considering all things i.e. the number of soldiers involved that day must have been one of the darkest for the British troops of the War.

Jacky

Stephen K. Newman's With The Patricia's in Flanders 1914-1918: Then & Now (BHP, Canada, 2000) states:

"The final tally for 8 May 1915 was four officers killed or missing; and six wounded. The NCOs and men suffered 108 dead, 197 wounded and 77 missing. Only four officers and 150 men were left on their feet..." (p.59)

So high, but not as high as the King's Own. I suspect as Jacky rightly says, this is the highest loss for a single day.

Some more figures concerning the extreme high number of killed on 8th May 1915 for the 28th Division .

83th Brigade

1st King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry: 155

1st York & Lancaster : 123

1/3 Monmoutshire : 136

84th Brigade

1/12 London: 69

2nd Cheshire: 85

2nd Northumberland Fusiliers: 92

1st Suffolk: 91

Jacky

This is not really an answer to the original question but having just read "There's a Devil in the Drum" by J F Lucy about the 2nd Bn. Royal Irish Rifles I couldn't help but quote this from the book.

page 254.

"During this rest roll of the battalion was called over, and we found that only forty-six of us survived to answer our names. We still had tow officers. We had lost Neuve Chapelle for the second time. It was rumoured that our generals were not satisfied, but thought that we might have done better."

When you check SDGW for the 27th October 1914 this Battalion lists 100 other ranks as died, and 3 officers.

And from this the author went on to survive the war, fantastic book.

Regards

Andrew

For Australian battalions I think Fromelles provided the greatest loss to an Australian battalion in a single engagement.

After the battle of 19th July 1916, in the 60th Battalion, only around 100 men(some of whom were wounded) answered the roll call.

I don't have the exact figure but around 410-450 men were killed from this battalion in the battle. It looks like there would have been another 400 wounded as they had no prisoners taken.

Regards

Andrew

• 1 year later...

The 1st Canadian Motor Machine Gun Brigade, Borden Motor Machine Gun Battery [56 men] was dispatched to block the advance of a German division during the Ludendorff Offensive. Only 4 men did not become casualties after firing their Vickers machine gun from point blank range for 4-5 hours in one instance ... about 12,000 rounds were used.

Albeit, this is a small unit in terms of heavy losses ... but they held the line at all costs to enable elements of the 5th Army to retreat in a more orderly fashion.

Here is an excerpt from the Borden Battery W/D.

===========================================

Sat, Mar 23, 1918 VILLERS-BRETONNEUX, FRANCE - Ludendorff Offensive (Operation Michael)

Fine

Battery left Camp about 5:30 AM. in convoy with the Canadian Corps Motor Machine Gun Brigade and proceeded to VILLERS-BRETONNEUX by way of ST. POL, DOULLENS and AMIENS arriving about 5 p.m.

At 9:30 p.m. Orders were received to “Stand by” and at 11:30 p.m. Battery moved off and proceeded to CORBIE, under Command of Capt. W.C. Nicholson, M.C., Lieut. F.G. Waldron and Lieut. R.H.A. West on arrival at CORBIE, about midnight.

Capt. Nicholson reported to the 7th Corps.

--- signed Lieut. F.P. O’Reilly, M.C.

Capt. Nicholson called up Lieut. Inch who had been back from the line with the men and the armoured cars. Inch was to try and get a message back to headquarters asking for immediate reinforcements. The message ran:

0. C. CDN CORPS MMG BDE

CIO 7th CORPS

Battery in position (sheet 62c) H5a 5050. I am in command of both machine-guns and infantry. We have only four guns left which are being manned; others captured or out of (action) order. Capt. Holland wounded. Lieuts. West and Waldron killed. Lieut. Snyder killed, wounded or prisoner. All my NCOs in Borden (‘C’) Battery casualties except one. I have only six men left. ‘B’ Battery has two NCOs, six ORs and one officer left. Both our flanks are in the air and we are being shelled by all calibres, snipers and machine-guns are busy. Enemy took Clery this a.m. about 9:30 and we are fairly well consolidated in an old trench 1000 yards west of the village. Here the infantry are being relieved tonight but no word of relief for us. Enemy aircraft are active. We have only one tripod left. Troops broke and ran this a.m. Great difficulty to rally them. One motorcycle blown up. Cars intact, also solos. Supply of ammunition short. No bombs or flares.

Weather good. Strong east wind. Very misty and many grass fires make it smoky, observation poor as consequence.

No support troops in evidence. Men in fair shape considering all but would heartily appreciate a rest.

Cars at Maricourt cross roads. Presence of Motor cars and our men undoubtedly saved situation somewhat. Capt. Holland did mighty fine work.

W.D. Nicholson Capt.

O.C. Borden M.M.G. Balleo,

3:55 p. in. 24-3 - / 8

by dispatch rider

Am trying to get in touch with Brigade but no answer yet DMGG and staff probably captured.

W.C.N.

Sun, Mar 24, 1918 VILLERS-BRETONNEUX, FRANCE - Ludendorff Offensive (Operation Michael)

Fine

About 2 a.m. Battery proceeded to MARICOURT and came under the Orders of the 21st Division arriving there about 6 a.m. Orders were received to proceed to CLERY, and from there at 7:15 a.m. arrived at Support Line in H.4.C. Sheet 62C at 8 a.m..

A heavy smoke Barrage was blowing from the East, but not evident hostile activity. Two guns were placed in CLERY Village under command of Lieut. R.H.A. West, shortly after the Enemy broke through on our left flank and overran the Village.

One (of) our guns was blown up and the crew of the other completely killed or wounded, one officer, one N.C.O. and one man remained, they managed to save a Tripod.

The remaining guns were placed on the MARICOURT-CLERY Road in an old shallow Trench with no wire in front. This trend was on the forward slope of the Ridge, observation was good, and as good targets were constantly presenting themselves our Guns created great havoc.

We held this Trench until 1 p.m. during which time our Casualties were exceptionally severe. Lieut. F.G. Waldron and Lieut. R.H.A. West were killed by enemy snipers, they being very active, causing many casualties.

Our Guns kept up harassing fire until our Supply of ammunition became exceedingly low. There being a Trench 50 yards to the rear, behind a stronger line, the Guns were withdrawn to this stronger line.

Casualties were continually being received during the whole afternoon. Until 5 p.m. we had only 3 guns (1 out of action) Capt. W.C. Nicholson, one N.C.O. and two men.

We had been reinforced about 11:30 o’clock by the 15th Cheshires, 35th Division, and we arranged with them that we should hold the line until 8 p.m., but the Enemy attacked in force on our left flank, and at the same time on our front in mass. We were compelled to withdraw, but not before we had poured a terrible fire in the close Enemy Ranks.

While proceeding down the Road near Hemp Dump Capt. W.C. Nicholson was hit in the arm by a ricochet, and forced to leave the Line.

The remainder of the Battery, Sergt. A. Peek and two other Ranks were instructed to report to D.M.G.C. 35th Div., and were then given instructions to return to Brigade H.Q’s VILLERS-BRETONNEAUX arriving about 3 a.m. 25th inst.

22 March 1918; only 1 officer and 14OR's fell into enemy hands, of the 2 companies of 7 Leics fighting a rearguard action on day 2 Op Michael. Gotta be 350-450 men lost there?

54th Bgde; 6th Northants mustered only 2 Officers and 26 other ranks at end 23rd March 1918. 1st day 54th Bgde were divisional reserve so little or no casualties. 6th Northants had left flank of 54th Bgde front on 22nd & 23rd March - lost swathes of men to flank actions in the fog, as there wasnt anyone on their left. So, thats over 2 days, but 23rd was the nasty one for them. Likely a few were captured rather than KIA, but cant say for sure?

The 54th Brigade mustered just over 400 OR's and 14 officers on 23rd March (2 days of fighting). Imagine starting strength in region of 2,000 to 2,200 men 21 March 1918????

liam (curranl) was saying the 10th Irish Division had huge losses in Gallipoli (somewhere between 6 & 10 August 1915 from memory). Recall a quote about 'only 30(?) men from that fine battalion' were merged into another unit. They'd only been there a day or so Im sure.

Hello Steve

With so much time and distance between now and when these catastrophic events took place ... trying to look back and imagine the impact ... how did the surviors really manage to fight again and later attempt to lead normal civilian lives after the Armistice?

I know my late Grandfather, although he almost never talked about it, was very much affected by his battles [Hill 70, Passchendaele, the Ludendorff Offensive and a series of battles during the Last One Hundred Days when they pierced the D-Q Line and pushed onto Mons]. Even his letters home [posted on the Web] downplayed the whole experience.

I strongly suspect military units of today could not and would not sustain such casualties and continue to be effective units.

Regards

Dwight Mercer, Regina, Canada

The Newfoundland Regt. Lost about 91% killed wounded and missing on July 1 1916. Every officer was either Killed or wounded and the casualties were 233 killed 386 wounded and 91 missing out of 752 men of all ranks.

Best regards

N.S.Regt.