Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

7823 Pte.A.J.Sopp, 2/Royal Sussex Regt

Terry

I wonder if any of our Pals might be able to inform me of the chances of doing any WW2 era research.

I have a group of nine medals, mounted, as follows: 1914 Star & Bar trio to 7823 Pte.A.J.Sopp,2/Royal Sussex Regt.;1939-45,Africa,Italy Stars,Defence & War Medals, Territorial Efficiency Medal (GeoVI lst type) named to 6198600 Bandsman A.J.Sopp,RA.

The MIC confirms that Sopp arrived in France on 12 August,1914, and received the clasp and roses.

It seems odd to me that he went from the infantry to being a bandsman in the artillery. I wonder if the group is actually more likely a father/son grouping or if indeed it is to an old soldier.

Any thoughts from anyone?

6198600 Bandsman A.J.Sopp,RA.

The following link suggests that this man may have served in the Middlesex Regt. before joining the RA. However, I'm not sure that Territorial numbering followed this pattern.

http://www.britishairborne.org/identity.html

I think they are more likely to be a father and son. This is based upon the age the man would have been in WW2, plus the fact that the 14 Star recipient was a regular - if he served long enough he would have received a Regular army LSGC. Of course he could have joined the Territorials at some stage, but I would have thought then that he would get an earlier edition of the TEM.

Just a thought,

Alex.

I'm not sure that Territorial numbering followed this pattern.

I don't think that there was a "Territorial numbering system" after 1920. After 1920, the numbers fell into regimental blocks and the number quoted does indeed fall into the Middlesex Regiment block (6118001 to 6278000). This number stayed with the soldier for his career, no matter which unit he was transferred to.

Dave.

By his Royal Sussex number he joined the army in February/March 1904 (No 7789 enlisted 16.2.04 and No 7841 9.3.04), so I suspect this is a father and son group - although it is not impossible that it's the same man.

As Dave says there were regimental blocks of numbers by WW2 and Brian Davies' book on the British Army in WW2 confirms that 6188001 - 6278000 was allocated to the Middlesex Regiment.

I don't think that there was a "Territorial numbering system" after 1920. After 1920, the numbers fell into regimental blocks and the number quoted does indeed fall into the Middlesex Regiment block (6118001 to 6278000).

I suspect that there were "blocks within blocks" for the post 1920 Army numbers.

That certain part(s) of a regimental block was/were allocated to the TA battalions of the regiment.

Any-one got any ideas, info' on this?

Thanks fellows - my gut feeling has always been that they were a father/son combination, and the knowledge that the Mons man must have enlisted in 1904 (making him a bit long in the tooth for the African and Italian campaigns) simply firms up my beliefs. There is a faint possibility that all are to the same man, but ...