Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Artillery MIC's

Terry

Perhaps someone might be able to clarify this for me. The MIC for the artillery usually will indicate the recipient's unit. In the case of the artillery 1914 Stars in my collection, the Royal Horse Artillery MIC's list the fellow's battery (ie. "A" Battery RHA). However, for field artillery units, the MIC's indicate the brigade, not the individual battery (ie. 26th Brigade RFA).

Was this common practice? Also, what about garrison artillery units? The solitary RGA 14 Star trio in my collection has the MIC entry: "RGA att. 7 Gen.Hosp.", which doesn't help with the question at all and poses the further question of as to just what the gunner was being employed.

Your comment is interesting concerning concerning RHA batteries because my experience with MICs for 1914 Stars to the RHA has been somewhat mixed. Sometimes the battery is shown but other times the RHA Brigade is indicated. This is especially true of III Brigade, RHA (D, E and J Batteries, RHA) - both the MICs and the Medal Roll for 1914 Stars to officers and men in this brigade indicate only the brigade and not the battery. A real problem for me in trying to develop a nominal roll for E Battery, RHA in 1914.

My experience, for RA officers at least, is that for 1914 Stars to the RFA, only the brigade is listed on the MIC and for the 1914 Stars to the RGA the designation of the Heavy Battery or Siege Battery is given.

Regards. Dick Flory

Thanks Dick. I only have one RHA trio - to "A" Bty,RHA -so I can't really say much.