Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMS Dublin ; log book 1918-1919

Meridian Line

I'm trying to follow up on one of those family stories handed down, about my husband's grandfather , Thomas Chevalier.

He told the story, that his ship had some connection with Ernest Shackleton ( we're not sure whether it was rescuing him or taking supplies to him).

He volunteered in May 1917, so would have been too late to assist in Shackleton's Endurance adventure, but he served aboard the HMS Dublin (from Sept. 1917 to Feb 1919), which joined the North Russia Expedition.

Shackleton was at Norway & Russia between Aug. 1918 & March 1919, & we have postcard photos from Thomas Chevalier on HMS Dublin in the same area at the same time.

If you're still with me, my question is;

Would the log book say if there were any passengers on board, or whether they were taking supplies to a particular port?

or can anyone suggest any other way I could verify the story.

Many thanks,

My great uncle served on HMS Dublin from 1916 - 1919. She did indeed pick up Shackelton from North Russia in November 1918. He had been advising the army on cold weather operations and was on the staff of General Maynard who also travelled back to the UK on board. Dublin missed the surrender of the High Seas Fleet because of this mission. She sailed from Rosyth on November 17th and arrived in Murmansk on the 21st. She was carrying supplies and gold bullion (the latter presumably to pay off the White Russian forces). She sailed on the 24th November and was back at Cromarty on the 28th.

This is condensed from her logs at Kew ADM53 40235. I have a summary of the same. You are welcome to a copy. If you want, please post an e-mail address.

There is a published account of the trip to Murmansk. It is in the Nautical magazine 1954, Volume 172. There is a copy at the NMM in Greenwich.

Regards

David

I'm trying to follow up on one of those family stories handed down, about my husband's grandfather , Thomas Chevalier.

He told the story, that his ship had some connection with Ernest Shackleton ( we're not sure whether it was rescuing him or taking supplies to him).

He volunteered in May 1917, so would have been too late to assist in Shackleton's Endurance adventure, but he served aboard the HMS Dublin (from Sept. 1917 to Feb 1919), which joined the North Russia Expedition.

Shackleton was at Norway & Russia between Aug. 1918 & March 1919, & we have postcard photos from Thomas Chevalier on HMS Dublin in the same area at the same time.

If you're still with me, my question is;

Would the log book say if there were any passengers on board, or whether they were taking supplies to a particular port?

or can anyone suggest any other way I could verify the story.

Many thanks,