Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HELP NEEDED

IAN MCGANN

Hi comrades

I need help with a trench map location. I am researching my great grandfather who DOW ypres 14th June 1915, His unit diary states " Companies left billets about 8 pm and proceeded to area East of YPRES, and commenced Assembly trenches in the vicinity of road running north in I 11 D". Can anyone please help with this code as my family and I are planning to visit the area.

many thanks

Hi. The road mentioned seems to be the one between Railway Wood and Birr Crossroads. According to the Official History, 2nd S Lancs started out as the second wave of 3rd Div for their attack on Bellewaerde. It seems reasonable to assume that they dug their own assembly trenches. If so, 2 S. Lancs started out from just on the west side of the road opposite Railway Wood.

Hi. The road mentioned seems to be the one between Railway Wood and Birr Crossroads. According to the Official History, 2nd S Lancs started out as the second wave of 3rd Div for their attack on Bellewaerde. It seems reasonable to assume that they dug their own assembly trenches. If so, 2 S. Lancs started out from just on the west side of the road opposite Railway Wood.

Thanks Richard, Ive had a quick look on a map of the area this will help to piece it together thanks again :D