Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

25th Squadron losses - 28/3/1917

Neil Mackenzie

Can anyone provide any information on the action which saw Lietenant Norman L Knight of 25th Squadron shot down and taken prisoner on 28 March 1917 - including which German airman claimed the kill?

I am researching his observer, 2nd Lt AG Severs who was killed (shot through the head) and originally buried in Lens but now commemorated on the Arras Flying Services memorial. Severs had started training as a pilot but severe hay fever meant he could not see the ground on landing so they had made him an observer instead.

Many thanks.

Neil

Cross & Cockade International carried an article on the combat of 28 March by Nicolas J Severs, great-nephew of AG Severs. This well researched piece draws the valid conclusion that Knight & Severs were brought down by Lothar Fr von Richthofen.

Lothar Fr von Richthofen

Was Lothar a Freiherr, or did this just apply to his elder brother, as would be the case in the British nobility?

Thanks Mick. I have emailed Cross & Cockade International to try and get in touch with Nicolas Severs.

Neil

Adrian,

Yes, Lothar was a Freiherr. In German nobility, all sons of a Freiherr are themselves Freiherren.

Best wishes,

Michael

Hi Neil.

Have a look at "Under the Guns of the German Aces" by Franks & Giblin,

Your boys were victory No1 for Lothar, in the book there is a short bio for both and a photo of Stevers.

If you want me to type it out Iwill.

Tim.

Tim.

Many thanks. I have a picture of Severs but if you could type out what it has on him I would appreciate it - don't worry about Knight. I am hoping to get in touch with his great-nephew so may find out more.

Thanks again.

Neil

Hi Neil.

2Lt Alfred George Severs, 15th Middlesex Reg & 25 Sqdn RFC.

Born on 5 July 1893, Alfred was the son of Frederick and Frederica Severs of 11 Vincent Road, Croydon. He received his education at Whitgift School, Croydon, from where he passed the necessary examinations to obtain a position in the Civil Service (National Insurance Department). Alfred joined the Civil Service Cadets in 1912, eventually going on to join the Inns of Court OTC on 7 June 1915 (No. 4/2/4103) from where he was gazetted Second Lieutenant to the 15th Battalion, Middlesex Regiment on 10 September 1915. Transfer to the RFC followed and, after training he was sent to France as a probationary observer in December 1916. Severs` parents were advised by the Red Cross that their son had been buried by the German Air Service in Lens Cemetery but, sadly, his grave was lost in subsequent fighting in the area and so he is commemorated on the Arras Memorial to the missing, France. He was twenty-three years old.

FE2b (no7715) 25Sqn 17.25 hrs. E of Vimy. Came down in noman`s-land.

From The Sky, T/o 2-30pm to patrol La Bassee - Arras, in combat driven down East of the lines 5-15pm, 2Lt Knight WIA, POW, 2Lt Severs KIA.

Tim.