Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

hmycalanthe

calvin

hello all, can anyone give me any info. about this ship, the hm yatch calanthe, she was based in southern ireland during ww1, i found a mention of her in 1916 but would like to find what size ship she was and if she was armed etc, thanks, john

Hello John,

Hired Yacht Calanthe.

Pendant no. 043.

370 tons gross.

Completed 1898.

2x6pdr guns.

Service 19/11/14- =Misc yacht [not commissioned] 24/5/17-8/5/19; = in WWII.

British Warships 1914-1919, by Dittmar & Colledge.

Regards,

ARABIS.

thanks for that, the yatch was sent out to look at life boat from hmt bradford after she sunk, by the queenstown command in oct 1916, i don,t suppose you might know were there may be a picture of her, thanks, regards, john

hello all, can anyone give me any info. about this ship, the hm yatch calanthe, she was based in southern ireland during ww1, i found a mention of her in 1916 but would like to find what size ship she was and if she was armed etc, thanks, john

Hello John

HM CALANTHE Yt 430/98 2pr Hired 19.11.1914, (not commisioned). Laid up 24.5.17-8.5.19. Hired as examination vessel 8.39. Sunk 24.4.41 by air attack off Milos. Built by Stephen at Linthouse.

Regards John

thanks john, you state 2pounder, as against 2x 6 pounders, do you know which one is correct or are both, ie. differant wars differant configerations, thanks again, regards, john

thanks john, you state 2pounder, as against 2x 6 pounders, do you know which one is correct or are both, ie. differant wars differant configerations, thanks again, regards, john

John, sorry I missed off the 6pdrs, 2x6pdrs is correct.

Regards John

thanks john for clearing that up and for other help, regards, john