Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Forum Members' Opinions Sought Please

Dee

This is a pic of my granddad who served with the RMLI during WW1, the photo I am going to attempt to post next is a picture I purchased of a Royal Marine but is unnamed and unknown.

I would love to know whether anyone thinks there is a resemblance between the two pictures (the one below was taken approximately 20 years after the WW1 pic), as the Soldier looks so much like a young version of my dad, I would love to think that I had happened upon a real find (but I am prepared for the fact that it may not be linked).

post-3-1073690240.jpg

The Marine appears to be wearing a 14/15 Star ribbon and RN LSGC. This may date the photo after 1917 but before the issue of BWM & VM ribbons. He also is wearing sea service uniform. Does this tally with your Grandad's medals?

If he were awarded a 14/15 star it would be apparent from his service record. Also if he had a -S or -N suffix to his service number it would be very unlikely for it to be him as these RMLI men served with the RND, and thus wore army uniform. On the original can you distinguish whether the button is the RMLI or RM pattern? This could date the photo pre or post 1923.

Rgds,

Alex.

Dee - I don't think the photos are of the same man. I only base this by looking at the ears, they don't look the same to me. Ears seem to stay the same shape, no matter how old you get.

I hope I'm wrong and that the photos are of the same man.

Hi Dee - very similar, but as Lee says, ears are like fingerprints and a good clue to picking someone out, no matter how many years difference between a photo. So I don't think they are one and the same man, sadly.

There are resemblances but the two jaw profiles look quite different. One is an unusual square shape a la David Coulthard, the other is a more common tapered shape.

Hi All

Thank you for your comments. I do see the points you have all raised, having sat for many an hour trying to decide but without any success, which is why I posted here for honest opinions.

The only other thought that I have now had, seeing as this pic does strike a chord with me on family resemblance (both my mother and father in law have commented on how similar this Marine looks to a younger version of my father), is that it could possibly be my dad's uncle who I have found out now was killed during WW1.

Unfortunately I have no further details, not even a Regiment for him but have posted a thread regarding brothers joining the same regiments. If this is so then I have two possibles from the CWGC site, one with RMLI @ Chatham and the other with RNVR Hawke Bn RND but with a Bristol service number (which is where my granddad enlisted).

My new found relative who provided these details has got a picture of my granddad's brother in uniform and I am now awaiting a copy so that I can check it.

Alex,

I have received your PM and will reply very soon just need to dig up my records for my granddad but I do know that he served aboard HMS Duncan from Chatham and was not with the RND from the outset, he joined them in France during 1917 and has a very colourful character.

Regards

Dee

Dee

I don't know if you are a member of the WFA, but if you are, take a look at the photograph that appears in the editorial of the latest edition of Stand To!. There is an uncanny likeness to photgraph number 1.

Terry Reeves

Terry

Unfortunately i'm not yet a member of the WFA, is there any way I can get a copy of this latest addition of Stand To or would I be able to obtain a back copy??

Dee

Brian

Thanks for that I have now been sat staring at my screen for the past 10 mins going bosseyed :D

Am I correct in thinking that there are three stripes on the left arm (as you look at the photo) to denote the rank of Sergeant or am I seeing things, also does it mention what Division this is?

This is an unbelievably close photo, however, if this does bear the stripes my man remained a Private (at least according to his service records) and was 5ft 3 1/2. Mind you he did get done for wearing the wrong badges previously so.. ;)

Dee,

according to Stand To it is a battalion of the (7th?) East Lancs regiment marching through Metz-en-Couture on 2nd Jan 1918 (IWM Q8385)

It looks like three stripes to me. A broader version of the photo shows him at the head of the marching men next to a corporal so I guess he was a sgt (at the time of the photo anyway!)

Lesley

Lesley

If it is the East Lancs I think it definitely isn't my man but it is an absolutely remarkable likeness :(

Granddad was in the RMLI, but I shan't give up hope, I will stay positive and find a pic of him somewhere. :)

I think I am going to have to join the WFA now instead of waiting (was going to ask my hubby to subscribe me as an Anniversary pressie).

Dee

Does this help? I changed the images to give the same eye separation and same colour

I does not look like the same man to me, the ears and nose look different.

Howard

post-3-1073837241.jpg

Howard

How did you do that? I have tried for ages to get them together (probably overlooked the obvious), but I do agree with everyone the nose and ears are definitely different.

Now even moreso after having received the attached picture from my new found relative which is, I am told, my granddad. I have tried to attach it below but it unfortunately is not a very good copy (also he is not in uniform as I think it was taken a few years after WW1).

Dee

post-3-1073840931.jpg

How did you do that?

Dee

Paint Shop Pro. Nearly as good as Photoshop but a tenth of the price. It will do all sorts of really useful things, especially if you like trench maps, enhancing images, removing dog-eared corners, scratches etc etc. You can even remove the lampost that no-one noticed behind the picture of granny. "The camera never lies" has never been so wrong as now!

I find that if I am tired and cannot get down to work, a bit of photo-editing is quite relaxing.

I have put your new picture alongside the others, again re-sizing to give the same eye spacing and leaving off the haircut which I found off-putting.

I would say No.2 and No. 3 are the same bloke, the ears look the same.

Howard

post-3-1073847489.jpg

Howard

Thank you for putting them all together it's great.

I can definitely see that 2 & 3 are the same person and unfortunately it appears that 1 bears no relation.

I am not too sad that it isn't my granddad as this picture sits atop my computer monitor together with a group picture of Royal Marines taken at the Depot at Deal (so it stays on the pic), here at least I see them every day and they are remembered.

Regards

Dee