Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

hmt brock

calvin

hello all, can anyone help me regarding the above mentioned trawler, it served out of queenstown during ww1, i have found some info. about a brock during ww2 but not sure whether it,s the same ship, any help about details of this ship during ww1 would be appriciated, thanks, john

hello all, can anyone help me regarding the above mentioned trawler, it served out of queenstown during ww1, i have found some info. about a brock during ww2 but not sure whether it,s the same ship, any help about details of this ship during ww1 would be appriciated, thanks, john

Hello John

HMT BROCK Served as a minesweeper from 1914-19 and from 1939-45. Launched 1914, constructed at Middlesborough by Smith's Dock. Owned by Wyre STC of Fleetwood.

Displacement: 304TG 122 TN

Engines: 69HP

Armament: WW1 1X6pr; WW2: 1x6pr; 2x20mmAA (2X1)

Admty No: 927

Port Reg: FD.47

Port No: WW2: FY.621

Hope this helps

Regards John

Hello John,

From Danger Zone by E. Keble Chatterton, regarding the Lusitania sinking.

Page 42. "Both the trawlers Brock [Lieut.-Commander T.B.H. Whytehead, R.N.R.] and Bradford suddenly stopped coaling, raised steam & went".

Page 48. "Only four days after the Lusitania foundered either Schwieger or his fellow U-boat was still at work off Queenstown harbour entrance, for the trawler Brock [now under Lieut. Cannell, R.N.R.], which had so quickly rushed towards the sinking Cunarder, received a surprise. The time was 10.30 pm., and the position only four miles south-west of Daunt`s Rock lightship - once so familiar an object to transatlantic travellers. Suddenly the Brock saw the conning tower and wash of a submarine;"

ARABIS.

Hello John

HMT BROCK Served as a minesweeper from 1914-19 and from 1939-45. Launched 1914, constructed at Middlesborough by Smith's Dock. Owned by Wyre STC of Fleetwood.

Displacement: 304TG 122 TN

Engines: 69HP

Armament: WW1 1X6pr; WW2: 1x6pr; 2x20mmAA (2X1)

Admty No: 927

Port Reg: FD.47

Port No: WW2: FY.621

Hope this helps

Regards John

thanks for that john, it certainly clears that up, it was a relativly new ship at the time then, cheers, john

Hello John,

From Danger Zone by E. Keble Chatterton, regarding the Lusitania sinking.

Page 42. "Both the trawlers Brock [Lieut.-Commander T.B.H. Whytehead, R.N.R.] and Bradford suddenly stopped coaling, raised steam & went".

Page 48. "Only four days after the Lusitania foundered either Schwieger or his fellow U-boat was still at work off Queenstown harbour entrance, for the trawler Brock [now under Lieut. Cannell, R.N.R.], which had so quickly rushed towards the sinking Cunarder, received a surprise. The time was 10.30 pm., and the position only four miles south-west of Daunt`s Rock lightship - once so familiar an object to transatlantic travellers. Suddenly the Brock saw the conning tower and wash of a submarine;"

ARABIS.

thanks for this info. it is very helpful, i don,t supposr you know who was skipper of the bradford at the time, thanks again, regards, john

The only other mention of Bradford in Danger Zone is a very brief mention of her loss in the storms of October 1916.

Page 195. "A little farther round the corner by Cape Clear, in a continuation of this storm, the armed trawler Bradford disappeared with all hands".

Regards,

ARABIS.

thanks again, do you know of a book called lusitania an irish tragedy by senan moloney, i have been told it mentions bradford in more detail if anyone has the book could they contact me, thanks, john