Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

London Address

Bob Coulson

Yorkshire Regt officer 2nd Lt Hugh Brooksbank was wounded at 1st Ypres on November 1st 1914 and DOW on December 16th 1914 at 26 Park Lane in London.

Would anyone have any idea on what this address was?

Bob.

Hi there

I typed in 26 Park Lane, London - on Google and came up with a link to the Churchill Papers catalogue website - which links it to an "Aldford House". But haven't found anything further - yet!

I don't know if this is any help to you?

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Being park Lane we are talking some expensive real estate!

There are or were a lot of hotels in the area up to the 1930s - could some have been requisitioned as convalescent homes for officers?

Ian <_<

Bob

The only thing i can come up with is that itis has been turned in to flats and if you have a spare £1.6 million you can have your self a three bed one.

Hope you find what you are looking for .

Regards Kevin

I would imagine Ian to be along the right tracks ... possibly a "sponsored" hospital similar to Lady Lytton's Hospital in Berkley Square.

According to the Post Office Directory of London for 1914, 26 Park Lane was known as Aldford House and it was the residence of Capt. Hon. Frederick Edward Guest MP, Treasurer HM Household.

This information comes from the marvellous Digital Library of Historical Directories at the University of Leicester.

The Churchill connection comes from Guest's mother, Cornelia Henrietta Spencer-Churchill.

Guest was Secretary of State for Air 1921-22, succeeding Winnie in the post.

Biog:

3rd son of 1st Baron Wimborne; Captain 1st Life Guards; served White Nile, 1900; South Africa, 1901-02; European War, 1914-17; M.P (L) East Dorset, 1911-22; Stroud Division of Gloucester, 1923-24; Bristol North, 1924-29; P.C 1920; Secretary of State for Air, 1921-22; joined Conservative Party, 1930.

Guest Pete Wood

Clive

When we meet, and I hope it's soon, I'm buying the first round (and second). This is an amazing resource.

I used the search engine and one of my 'missing' men turned up about 200 miles away from where I had been led to believe he was.

How long has this been available....??

Thank you so much :D

Guest Pete Wood

Just getting to grips with the search engine.....

Take note, especially when searching a 'common' name, that some directories will give you more than one hit.

This is where the small box in the top left hand side of the page comes into its own. Press the button, with two arrows, that says 'HIT.'

If anyone else has got any hints and tips (Clive??) please let us in on the secret(s).

Yes, the directories site is a cracker. What a difference the internet makes! The credit belongs to Terry Reeves who drew attention to the site on the forum back in October.

I have not done much with the site yet; work keeps getting in the way. It is on that long list of things to be followed up. It's a fair bet that we all have one of these.

Links like this which are of great use to researchers often crop up on the forum. I wonder if Chris might consider a links page on the main site dedicated to useful and even obscure research links such as this.

Martin