Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Figure of a Highlander

4thGordons

I wondered if anyone knew anything about this figure? (sculptor? age? etc)

It is a bit the worse for wear (cracked knee and ankle and rim of helmet at front missing, shoulder broken and rifle missing!) but might be a "fixer upper"

Appears to be a highlander - in 08 webbing, steel helmet (but no gasmask bag)

Figure is about 22cm high, whole statue is about 27cm, weighs about 4kg - sold as "pewter" but appears to me to be a rather brittle grey alloy

any information or suggestions as to how or whether to attempt repair or not, appreciated

Chris

Possibly a model for a memorial?

Dave

Chris - Suggest you ask your question on the www.Planetfigure.com forum and on www.timelinesforum.com. Each of these are figure modeler sites. Someone may recognize your figure. Unfortunately I do not recognize it, but I've only been in the hobby for a few years.

All the best,

Dan

Thanks all.

It crossed my mind that it might be a model for a memorial (or a minature replica of one) but I have no provenance and can find no markings at all. I scanned a good number of highland memorials to see if the pose looked familiar but cannot find one that is similar.

I have no idea really what sort of metal it is made of inside (where it is broken) it is grey and looks fairly pourous to me, clearly given the number of breaks it is relatively brittle. the outdside finish is a nice bronzed colour.

Thanks again for responses

Chris

Could the metal be "spelter" I think thats what the term is. Dont ask me the technicalities but it is a cheap alternative to bronze and I believe is more likely to get damaged.

TT

Chris,

It's a great little piece, and I hope you manage to get something done with it. Out of interest, he is in 'fighting order'. The large pack is replaced with the small pack and the mess tin is worn below the pack. John Lucy mentions the development of this order of dress in his book There's a Devil in the Drum.

Hope this helps

Aye

Tom McC

I too think this is spelter. Quite common for cast figurines from mid Victorian through into ART DECO times.( 20s/30s) His pose looks slightly assymetric and I wouldn't be a bit surprised if he was one of a pair. He would be the right hand one. Almost impossible to repair I am afraid as the metal cannot be soldered or brazed. They clean up nicely with brown boot polish.