Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Researching William Hulme's Grammar School War Memorial

kemrobson

Hi

I never cease to be amazed at the wealth of information available on the forum and should be grateful for any assistance you might be able to give me.

I am currently researching my old school First World War Memorial, William Hulme's Grammar School, Manchester, and have 4 Old Boys who were in the RAF and 1 who was in the RNAS.

I append below the details I have to date and wonder if anyone can add any further information regarding the events leading up their deaths, the movements of their units during the war, what types of aircraft they might have been flying in and any other information which would relate to them, and where I might be able to find such information. I expect photos would be too much to hope for?

All information would be gratefully received.

Best regards

Keith

Casualty Details

Name: COOPER

Initials: D G

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Air Force

Date of Death: 09/05/1919

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: In South part

Cemetery: NORTHENDEN (ST WILFRID) CHURCHYARD

The Hulmeian – July 1919

Deaths

COOPER – May 9th, at Leuchars, Fife, (killed whilst flying), Lieut. David Gardiner Cooper, R A F, son of Frederick and Ada Cooper, 2, Chretien Road, Northenden.

The Hulmeian – July 1919

Old Hulmeians and the War

Deaths

Lieutenant D G COOPER, R A F, was killed whilst flying at Leuchars, on May 9th, aged 19. He was at the School from September, 1912, to April, 1915 (Modern Fifth).

(Formerly 4533 then 110826 Duke of Lancaster's Own Yeomanry)

Casualty Details

Name: ELLIOTT

Initials: A E

Unit Text: Training Depot Station

Date of Death: 07/01/1919

Grave/Memorial Reference: P. 100.

Cemetery: CAIRO WAR MEMORIAL CEMETERY

The Hulmeian – April 1919

Deaths

ELLIOTT – January 7th, Second Lieutenant Albert E Elliott, R A F, of Rowan Avenue, Whalley Range, son of Mr and Mrs Charles Elliott, Wellington Road, Whalley Range, accidentally killed while flying in Egypt, aged 29.

Deaths

Second Lieutenant A E ELLIOTT, R A F, who died on January 7th from injuries received whilst flying at Cairo, was at the School from January, 1904, to December, 1905.

Casualty Details

Name: FOX, JOHN ROBERT

Initials: J R

Unit Text: 55th Sqdn.

Date of Death: 16/08/1918

Additional information: Son of John Edward and Agnes Buckley Fox, of 2, Harlington Place, Burbage, Buxton.

Grave/Memorial Reference: Immediately N.W. of the entrance.

Cemetery: INGWILLER COMMUNAL CEMETERY

The Hulmeian – December 1918

Missing

Second Lieutenant J R FOX, Manchester Regiment, officer observer R A F, has been missing since August 16th. He was seen to land under control in the enemy lines on that date, but has since been unofficially reported buried in Ingwiller Cemetery, Alsace. He was at first a private in the East Lancashire Regiment, and was at the School from April, 1907, to April, 1914. He was 20 years old. Any information from returning prisoners of war or their friends will be gratefully received by his parents, Mr and Mrs Fox, Reynard Road, Chorlton-cum-Hardy.

Deaths

FOX – Killed in action on or before August 16th, John R Fox, Officer Observer, R A F, only son of Mr and Mrs John E Fox, Reynard Road, Chorlton-cum-Hardy, aged 20.

Deaths

Second Lieutenant J R FOX, Manchester Regiment, officer observer 55th Squadron Independent Air Force, who was reported missing on August 16th, 1918, is now known to have been killed in combat with enemy planes when returning from a raid on Cologne. He was at the School from April, 1907, to April, 1914, and before joining up at the age of 18 years, was with Messrs John Dugdale & Bros, Sackville Street, Manchester.

Casualty Details

Name: WAKEMAN, MALCOLM WINSER

Initials: M W

Unit Text: 53rd Sqdn.

Date of Death: 18/10/1918

Additional information: Son of G. H. and C. Wakeman, of Stapeley House, Gowan Rd., Alexandra Pk., Manchester.

Grave/Memorial Reference: V. H. 9.

Cemetery: LES BARAQUES MILITARY CEMETERY, SANGATTE

Deaths

WAKEMAN – October 18th, from wounds received on October 2nd, Second Lieutenant Malcolm Winser Wakeman, R A F, of Stapeley House, Whalley Range, aged 19.

Deaths

Second Lieutenant M W WAKEMAN, R A F, died on October 18th of wounds received in an air engagement on October 2nd. He was at the School from September, 1911 to July, 1915, and, before joining the Air Force, was employed at the Thames and Mersey Marine Insurance Company, Manchester.

Casualty Details

Name: ALLISON, JOSEPH LEYLAND

Initials: J L

Regiment/Service: Royal Naval Air Service

Date of Death: 18/03/1918

Additional information: Son of James and Annie Allison, of Ardwick Green School, Manchester.

Grave/Memorial Reference: I. G. 34.

Cemetery: RUE-PETILLON MILITARY CEMETERY, FLEURBAIX

The Hulmeian – April 1918

Deaths

Flight Sub Lieutenant J L ALLISON, R N, (attached R F C), reported missing by the Admiralty on March 18th, was killed on that date according to the German newspapers. He was the son of Mr and Mrs J Allison, Ardwick Green Industrial School, and was educated at St Oswald’s School, Ellesmere, Salop, and the Hulme Grammar School, where he was from January 1911 to December 1914. He was Vice-captain of cricket and football in 1914. Before joining the Royal Navy in August 1917, he as an apprentice with Messrs Mather & Platt. He was 19.

Keith

Give me a few minutes to trawl through "Sky their Battlefield".

BTW, I'm sure I've got the odd one or two WH lads in my project. Let me know of any with a Stockport area connection. BTW (2), re Cooper - I was brought up in Northenden and my grandparents are buried at St Wilfrids.

John

Here you go:-

FOX – flying as observer in DH4, numbered A7813, piloted by 2nd Lt J Campbell. Bombing mission on Darmstadt. Combat with enemy aircraft and shot down south of Mannheim. Descended under control. Died same day as prisoner of war.

WAKEMAN – book gives him killed in action (clearly wrongly). Flying as observer on a counter attack patrol in an RE8 , number C2742. Left aerodrome 7.50am. Ltn K Plauth of Jasta 51 claimed an RE8 over Gheluvelt.

ALLISON – 3rd Naval Squadron. Flying Sopwith Camel, B7217. Seen in dive with enemy aircraft on tail near Haubourdin 11.05 am after combat. Ltn H vHaebeler, Jasta 36 claims Sopwith at Gondecourt at 11.20.

Here you go:-

FOX – flying as observer in DH4, numbered A7813, piloted by 2nd Lt J Campbell. Bombing mission on Darmstadt. Combat with enemy aircraft and shot down south of Mannheim. Descended under control. Died same day as prisoner of war.

WAKEMAN – book gives him killed in action (clearly wrongly). Flying as observer on a counter attack patrol in an RE8 , number C2742. Left aerodrome 7.50am. Ltn K Plauth of Jasta 51 claimed an RE8 over Gheluvelt.

ALLISON – 3rd Naval Squadron. Flying Sopwith Camel, B7217. Seen in dive with enemy aircraft on tail near Haubourdin 11.05 am after combat. Ltn H vHaebeler, Jasta 36 claims Sopwith at Gondecourt at 11.20.

John

Many thanks - the descriptions bring it all so very much alive. I will look up any WHGS Stockport connections tonight and let you have what info i've got.

Thanks again

Regards

Keith

John

Many thanks - the descriptions bring it all so very much alive. I will look up any WHGS Stockport connections tonight and let you have what info i've got.

Thanks again

Regards

Keith

John

I append below my information on 4 Old Hulmeians from the Stockport area. If you have any additional information I would be pleased to receive it.

Regards

Keith

BROCKLEBANK C C

Deaths

BROCKLEBANK – November 18th, at Waingroves, Ellesmere Road, Heaton Chapel, Cadet Charles Cyril Brocklebank, Manchester University O T C, aged 18 years, son of Charles T and Martha H Brocklebank. (At the School September, 1912 to July, 1916.)

Casualty Details

Name: DIXON, ALFRED CHARLES

Initials: A C

Regiment/Service: Lancashire Fusiliers

Unit Text: 19th Bn.

Date of Death: 04/02/1916

Additional information: Son of Herbert Clement Dixon and Helen Constance Dixon, of Berne Cottage, Heaton Moor Rd., Stockport. Born at Manchester.

Grave/Memorial Reference: C. 6.

Cemetery: MIRAUMONT COMMUNAL CEMETERY

The Hulmeian – April 1916

We are very sorry to say that two Old Boys are reported missing in France. Second Lieutenant A C Dixon, 19th Battalion (3rd Salford) Lancashire Fusiliers, who is also believed to be wounded, and Corporal R V Sturgeon, 17th Battalion Manchester Regiment. On February 3rd Second Lieutenant Dixon took out a patrol party of bombers and suddenly came upon a large enemy patrol. He engaged it at once but was hit almost immediately and carried off by the enemy. It is expected that he will be treated properly, as the Germans in this part are clean fighters. He was very popular with the battalion and his grenadiers were devoted to him.

The Hulmeian – December 1916

Killed in Action

DIXON – Killed in action on February 3rd, or a later date, Alfred C Dixon, aged 19, Second-Lieutenant, Lancashire Fusiliers, the dearly loved second son of Mr and Mrs H C Dixon, Berne Cottage, Heaton Moor Road, Stockport (late of Whalley Range and Ansdell).

The Hulmeian – December 1916

Killed in Action

Second-Lieutenant ALFRED C DIXON, Lancashire Fusiliers, was reported missing and wounded on February 3rd 1916, and his death on or after that date is concluded. He took out a party of bombers, and suddenly came upon an enemy patrol of superior strength. He engaged at once, but was hit almost immediately. He was very popular with the battalion and his grenadiers were devoted to him. He entered our School in April 1906 and left in July 1908, proceeding to Mill Hill School, where he was sergeant of the O T C, head of his house and in the School XV, taking also a high place in class. He obtained his commission on leaving Mill Hill in December, 1914, when just over 18. His cheerful and unfailing gallantry and modest bearing won him the esteem and affection of officers and men. His elder brother, Captain T Herbert Dixon, Manchester Regiment, was wounded in May last, but is now well and at the front.

Casualty Details

Name: DIXON

Initials: T H

Regiment/Service: Manchester Regiment

Unit Text: 12th (Duke of Lancaster's Own Yeomanry) Bn.

Date of Death: 25/08/1918

Awards: M C

Grave/Memorial Reference: XI. O. 1.

Cemetery: DELVILLE WOOD CEMETERY, LONGUEVAL

Deaths

DIXON – Killed in action on August 25th, Captain Thomas Herbert Dixon, M C, Manchester Regiment, aged 24, eldest son of Mr and Mrs H C Dixon, Heaton Moor Road, Stockport.

Deaths

Captain T H DIXON, M C, Manchester Regiment, killed in action on August 25th, was at the School from April, 1903, to July, 1907. He then went to Mill Hill School, where he was head of his house and sergeant in the O T C, and to Caius College, Cambridge. In December,1914, after recovering from an operation, he obtained a commission in the Manchester Regiment, and was gazetted captain in July, 1915. He served nearly three years in France, was wounded in May, 1916, returning to France in July of the same year. He subsequently received the Military Cross:-“For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty when he took his company forward to clear away the enemy who were reported to be cutting wire under the cover of darkness, when he led his men with great coolness.”His brother, Second Lieutenant Alfred C Dixon, Lancashire fusiliers, also an Old Hulmeian, was killed in 1916 at Thiepval, and the younger and only surviving brother, Arnold C Dixon, is completing his training in the O C B at Kummel Park, Heel.

Casualty Details

Name: STOREY, JOHN FAIRHURST

Initials: J F

Regiment/Service: Royal Engineers

Unit Text: Railway Directorate H.Q.

Date of Death: 30/11/1918

Service No: WR/296000

Additional information: Son of John Davies Storey and Sarah Storey, of Manchester; husband of Maggie Storey, of "Hawthorne," Woodford Rd., Bramhall, Stockport.

Grave/Memorial Reference: 514.

Cemetery: KIRECHKOI-HORTAKOI MILITARY CEMETERY

The Hulmeian – December 1920

Deaths

STOREY – November 29th, 1918, at Salonica, of pneumonia, John Fairhurst Storey, Corporal, Royal Engineers, son of Mr and Mrs D Storey, Cheadle Hulme. (At School, 1898-1901)

I havn't "done" Brocklebank yet (he's commemorated on the Heaton Moor and Stockport War Memorials) but here's the link to webpages for the others:-

A C Dixon

T H Dixon

Storey

Other than Census information, I don't have any more information about Brocklebank. A trawl through BMD records suggest his parents married in Basford, Notts in the June quarter of 1896. Charles was a tea & coffee traveller - and wealthy enouhg for them to employ a live-in general servant. They were then living at 6 Moorside Road, Heaton Moor. Interesting that the later address is Heaton Chapel - Moor being generally posher than Chapel. I wonder if there'd been a bit of a come-down.

John

John

Thanks very much for the additional info.

With regards to the Airmen are there any details of where the airfields were when they set off for their last mission?

Regards

Keith

Keith

Not in "The Sky...." but the info may be known to the air experts amongst us. May I suggest a separate post titled along the lines of "Where was this airfield".

Good hunting

John

ALLISON previously crashed and completely wrecked Camel B6288 16 Febrary 1918. His RNAS service records should be in ADM 273.

RAF records for the others should be in AIR 76, army records might be in WO 339 or 374.

ALLISON previously crashed and completely wrecked Camel B6288 16 Febrary 1918. His RNAS service records should be in ADM 273.

RAF records for the others should be in AIR 76, army records might be in WO 339 or 374.

Gentlemen

Thank you very much for the additional information.

Regards

Keith