Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

May Guinness - Croix de Guerre for bravery

Myrtle

I have just come across May Guinness ( yes from the well known Irish family) who was termed as a distinguished painter and the recipient of the Croix de Guerre for bravery under bombardment at Vadelain Court near Verdun. Does anyone know anything further about this nurse?

Myrtle

Not being funny at all, but I did a Google on her and got quite a few biographies that seemed to have a fair amount of information. Are you looking for info beyond the basic biography stuff?

I think maybe you need to be a bit more specific about what you want, in order to get what you seek.... :)

There are various biographies out there that I can find without too much trouble, but yes not many go into much detail about her war service - sadly. Can't help you.

Maybe if someone can give details about her Service, it could be posted here - then when others try to search for it, it would come up in Google in the future.

Myrtle

I have joined the Googlers as well, and found this link to an article in the Dublin Review - it looks as though you can order it:

The Dublin Review - Bombardement at Vadelaincourt

Hopefully, that will explain her Croix de Guerre. It looks as though she was working as an untrained nurse for the French, and probably independently, rather than for the French Red Cross. I would think it's very doubtful whether there are any official records of her service.

Another link states she was born Mary Catherine Guinness, in Dublin, and also died in Dublin - Dublin records are pretty good, and with the date of birth and death [which are out there] the certificates can be ordered online.

Sue