Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Finner Cemetery Co.Donegal

Peter Mc

A number of posts make reference to Finner Camp, Bundoran, Co. Donegal. In the nearby Finner Cemetery are a number of Commonwealth War Graves, I am listing the names of the individuals buried there in case it proves of interest.

I have visited the place myself on a number of occasions and can give directions if anyone should need them. I have (somewhere) photos of a few of the headstones.

1. 48257 worker - S. Dunne, Q.M. Army Corps, 10th November 1918.

2. In memory of Private Patrick McLaughlin, F. Coy 31 A & S Highlanders, who died at Finner Camp, 28th June, 1900. Erected by the officers NCO and men of his company.

3. No. 2818. Private Thomas McAtamney, who accidentally drowned at Bundoran, 10th June, 1910. Erected by the officers, N.C.O.s and men of the 3rd Tyrone Battalion Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers.

4. 01907 Private W. H. Pearse, Duke of Cornwall S.L.I. 12th Feb. 1920, age 19.

5. 41 C Sergt. Major W. Mitchel, Army Gymnastic Staff, 13th April, 1917.

6. In memory of Private W. Prickett, drowned in River Erne when on Bathing Parade, 11th July, 1907. Erected by the Company the Signallers, 4th Battallion Royal Fusiliers.

7. 16866 Private T. Clarke, Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, 13th Jan. 1915.

8. In memory of Corporal Parfett, 1st The Connaught Rangers, died Finner Camp 4th July, 1903, born Cashan, Aug. 8th, 1864. Age 36 years. Erected by his comrades.

9. 75521 Private T. Earnshaw, West Yorkshire Regiment, 15th Aug. 1918.

10. 0865 Private G.F. Roberts, 12th Feb. 1920,aged 18.

11. 0997 Private J. Laverty, Royal Inniskilling Fusilier, 30th April 1916.

12. K.J. Surridge, Private, 02290, Prince Charles Com. Duke of Cornwall's, L.I., 21st July, 1920.

13. Private F. M. Mooncrieff, 1st Battalion A&S Highers, drowned 19th July, 1900, aged 19.

And also:

Sacred to the memory of John Connaughton, late D.I.R.I.C. who died at Bundoran 9th January 1918 aged 79 years; also his wife Hannagh, who died at Bundoran 26th March, 1920 aged 74 years. Erected by their sons Hugh, John and Edward.

A number of soldiers died in 1920. I cannot confirm if these men died as a direct result of the Troubles or by another means - if anyone could help I would be grateful.

Peter

Hallo Peter Mc.

If my memory serves me correct while I was based in Finner Camp, while they were constructing new accomodation blocks in the upper right area of the camp, to the right hand side of where the Gymnasium is located, (sloping towards the road,) while clearing the ground for foundations I belive six sets of human remains were discovered, a Police investigation that the remains had been there for many years possibly pre 1900. There was no evidence of any grave markers, and I believe the remains were placed in a two coffins and re-located to the small graveyard located to the right of the road as you travel into Bundoran.

Connaught Stranger :D

• 14 years later...