Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ADM339 & ADM337 - Royal Naval service records

wilkokcl

Searching on the National Archives site today brought up a new document for a surname I've been searching for in:

"ADM 337/117/70: Service record as RNVR officer"

This has not appeared on previous searches so I am not sure when it was added to the computerised database. I have previously paid £3.50 to download service records for the same chap in:

"ADM339/3: Admiralty and War Office: Royal Naval Division: Records of Service ... officers"

Can anyone clarify what the difference is between the 2 documents/files? The ADM337 document seems to only be available on microfiche. Or are they the same document filed in 2 places?

Mark

ADM/337 will contain the details of an RNVR officer's entire career, whereas ADM339 is the record of service in the Royal Naval Division only. The latter, commonly known as RND Record Cards and the same for officers and ratings, and the originals are at the FAAM Museum.

Mark

Your man would have been serving in the RNVR before joining the RND, therefore his service records will be available for both in the relevant branch of the Navy.

Regards John

Thanks: in my ignorance I had assumed that the RND and the RNVR were the same thing. Yet more documents to hunt down then.....!

Mark

I had assumed that the RND and the RNVR were the same thing. That's a bit like assuming that the Army and a division are the same thing!

Just to add to your paper trail, he may also have a service card and a documents pouch. These might be in ADM 340 in 2 seperate sections (both in alphabetical order) are original documents.