Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Need a favour - photo enhancement

Geoff Parker

There was a previous posting of a old battered photograph and someone

enhanced it by removing the cracks and improving the definition.

I have attached an enlargement that I have scanned from one of those

panoramic group shots of my grandfather. I will like to copy it to CD and

take it to Jessops and have them print it on photographic paper so that I

can give it to my mother as a present as she has no photographs of her

father. If whoever enhanced the other photograph could do the same for me

I would very much appreciate it.

Geoff

post-8-1073641928.jpg

Guest Pete Wood

You'll need to give the person 'fixing' your photo a high resolution scan (at least 300dpi) if you intend to print it.

The scan you have put on the forum is 72dpi and would not look good when printed, even if this was enhanced.

I have given it a go using what you have posted and increased the resolution.

I can print it off on photoquality ink jet paper - it should be fine for the purpose at about 6x4 inches. You are welcome to that.

Give me a couple of hours and I will post it up for you to look at. I don't have access to my webspace from here.

Ryan

Geoff,

I've done up originals several times. If you want I can see what can be done. Email me. As RT said, the higher the resolution the better.

Aye

Malcolm

Hi Geoff,

As promised 30minutes on photoshop and hey presto -

Sorry I couldn't post it sooner, I was at work so couldn't post to my webspace. I have only done the main part of the image on the low res one. This is a low res upload, the one on my PC is 6x4 inches and 300dpi. Yours if you want it :)

photo1.jpg

Ryan

Guest Pete Wood

Fleur, it was worth the wait.

Billy, I presume you are using Black Magic to colourise your photos - or is this Photoshop also ?? I confess, the Adobe colourised method is too complicated for me.

You have all put me to shame, with your Photoshop repair skills. I can see lots of work with filters, clone stamp, healing brushes, and levels. And so fast!!

Perhaps we should start a new thread so you guys can explain (step-by-step) the methods you use. It would make a good article for the mother site IMHO.

Yep. If I were half as skilled as you guys and gals, I'd be VERY happy....

Thanks everyone for your assistance and advice.

Billy I liked your colour tints and have sent you email direct

Geoff

:lol: Not quite Black Magic Teapots. I'm a graphic designer in real life and I do this kinda thing for a living. (I also designed the Forum logo for the polo-shirts etc)

Good Idea about the Photographic enhancement thread. I would be glad to share my knowledge.

Guest Pete Wood

Billy, sorry I can see I have caused some confusion. 'Black Magic' is a colourising software that I use - because it is so much easier, in my opinion, than Photoshop's method.

You can see it here - and get a free trial at http://www.black-and-white-to-color.com/mainsite/index.html

I am merely a satisfied customer and have no connection with the company that makes the software. It is the same product used to 'colourise' the old B&W movies, by a company in India.

I take it that means you use the Photoshop method....

:lol: DOH :lol: Sorry, yes I use photoshop

I take it that you have used it? Have you any images that you have coloured? You should post them and let me see 'Blackmagic' in action as ive never heard of it before. Photoshop can be quite hard to use, but ive had years practice

very nice. It works well, but thats also down to your skill Teapots.

I had a look at the blackmagic site. Nice of them to give you a trial. I suppose you could just keep downloading the trial without having to buy the full version. I think I'll stick with photoshop but. Ive been using it for about 8 years and find it very useful.

I suppose you could just keep downloading the trial without having to buy the full version

:( Nope tried it! - But thankfully have Kazaa Lite :D

Its a little easier I find than Photoshop for this purpose only but I guess its what you are used to. I always swear by photoshop for everything else tho'

Ryan

Guest Pete Wood

Billy, you're too kind.

I use Photoshop for everything else. But I just find Photoshop clumsy for colourising. But perhaps that's why a tuition (hints and tips page) from you guys would be very welcome.

My understanding (from reading a book) is that Photoshop relies on your knowledge and previous experience when it come to colourising. You have to seperate each area that is to be colourised.

The beauty of the BlackMagic system is that you have a palette of colours that you just brush over the area you want to 'tint.' You can also 'paint' over areas that have been done before. It really is like painting by numbers - only no mess.

I think that is why the programme makers in India started off with the WW1 in colour series, because most of the uniforms use just a few colours (brown, green, blue, red etc).

I've just been having a bit of a play with the blackmagic trial version and have to say I am converted - how much simpler can it get (damned sight easier than batteling with Photoshop colourisation I can tell you)

I am very tempted to buy this bit of kit ... humnnn!

*checks pockets and purse* .......... *finds dead moth, old button and half a chewing gum*

Might have to be next month!

LOL :P

Fleur

Guest Pete Wood

Fleur, may I suggest that if you are going to buy 'Black Magic', that you get the Professional version. It really does make a difference.

I bought the 'budget' version and it is missing all sorts of useful things like the magnifying glass so you can make a neat job of really small areas. You can also make the brush 2 pixels big in Pro, not 4 pixels in the 'home' edition.

If you buy it, I hope you'll pass on any hints and tips you pick up....

Most interested in the terrific things that can be done with this software. If you guys could get together to put some notes on the site suitable for us complete novices, I am sure it woud be well worthwhile.