Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Dead Stretcher Bearer

Dan Morton

Several months back, I posted this vignette unpainted. Kreston Peckham, a well-known master painter, was kind enough to paint this for me. An outstanding job, as always! I hope you like it.

post-4473-1188759163.jpg

Because of the size limits, there will be a few installments of this posting.

All the best,

Dan

Wow dan !! , I used to paint model soldiers when I was young about 30 yrs ago. there are many more models on the market now dealing with the Great War, Hannants do some good stuff, I got a kit of stormtroopers and a A7V tank from them some time ago, I have yet to do them , I wonder if I still have it in me?. It is always very good to see a tailored/custom kit such as this one , could you give me details as to how this one was done?.

cheers

Many thanks for your kind comments, crh! I'd be glad to provide details. I can tell you a lot more about the sculpting than the painting. I'm not a painter. I lucky enough to be able to collaborate with a lot of very good painters. This vignette was painted by a master figure painter, Kreston Peckham, using acrylics and oils (I think!) and 2 part clear epoxy with acrylic paints mixed in were used to make the pools of water.

The base of the construction, groundwork and so forth is papier mache' on which I've applied a product made by a Spanish figure company, pumice paste. This is an epoxy air-drying compound of pumice and other finely crushed stone. The wooden posts of stretcher are carved and sanded basswood or balsawood. The metal stanchions under the stretcher are lead foil. The "canvas" part of the stretcher is a 2 part putty called MagicSculpt. This is an air-drying putty, very easy to sculpt with. It does require some hand protection and good ventilation to use it safely. The figure itself - the boots come from a Verlinden model kit, the hands from a Model Cellar model kit. The helmet is from a Jaguar model kit. The rest is MagicSculpt. Holding the figure together is a wire framework called an armature. The whole construction took probably 2 or 3 months of mostly weekends and holidays.

All the best,

Dan

Dan,

I think its stunning. Hard work, ingenious, effective and moving. I am amazed at the planning and ingenuity which went into this.

Kathie

Dan

I realise all art is a matter of taste, but I have to say I really don't like this. It looks to beautifully made and painted, but it gives me the creeps.

Great craftsmenship, wrong subject for me.

Gunner Bailey

Kathie - Many thanks for your kind comments!

Gunner Bailey - You are not alone in feeling that way. I've had others say much the same thing. I choose to do the subjects others sometimes shy away from, the controversial, the tragic, the painful. I don't do them because they are controversial, tragic or painful, I do them because I am interested in the subject and want to try to do it justice with one of my little sculptures. In this case, this vignette is a humble attempt to make a 3 D model of a large and famous painting by Gilbert Evans, hanging in the British Imperial War Museum. Finally, I am not in the slightest offended by your point of view and indeed happily uphold your right to express it. Thank you for being brave enough to do so.

All the best,

Dan

Dan

Many thanks for your response and the way you took my comments. As an ex pro photographer I've photographed death a few times and it's painful and burns into the soul. Not nice. I was not aware of the painting in the IWM, but would probably have the same feeling about it.

Our grandfathers and fathers fought two world wars to ensure we have the freedom to express ourselves in word, photos and sculpture. Express yourself as you will, and enjoy it!

Gunner Bailey

Dan

It is the fact that your vignette arouses such emotion and feelings in people is in my opinion what makes it art as opposed to model making.

I think it is excellent that you are willing to tackle difficult subjects, things that can provoke a number of emotions even dislike and revulsion.

I really admire your skill and that of the painters you collabortate with.

I look forward to seeing your next work.

*Ps it is refreshing to see to see a difference of artistic opinion expressed in such an agreeable way *

Gunboat - Many thanks for your very kind comments! I'm not sure my little thingies meet the definition of "art", but I do try. Someone on one of the model forum sites I lurk on asked why I chose such difficult subjects. My answer in short was, "Life is too short to do anything else." Altho - to be honest - some of my stuff can be as pedestrian as the typical "toy soldier".

And I am glad that a Jihad can be avoided when two people express a difference in opinion. There is more than enough of that in the world for a middle-aged mid-Westerner living in that garden spot of the universe, Omaha, Nebraska.

All the best,

Dan

Dan,

Loved the Vignette, Total contrast in mood from the last Vignette "3 Tommies".

I hope to see more of your art displayed on the forum.

Keep it coming Dan.

Ian. ;)

Many thanks Ian! You couldn't stop me with a 6" howitzer! :blink:

No seriously - sculpting gives me more enjoyment, vent and mental exercise than anything I've ever found. I look forward to retirement in a few years so I can do a lot more of it. I'm very glad Great War Forum have enjoyed seeing my little thingamies and will continue to show them until the moderator throws me off the site! :)

All the best,

Dan