Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Museum of the Manchesters

John_Hartley

For Pals living within easy travelling distance of Ashton-under-Lyne, the Museum is starting a programme of evening lectures. All begin at 7.30pm, admission is free and no prior booking is needed. Not all Great War but the programme so far is:-

21 January - "Archaeology of Armageddon" - Andrew Robertshaw. Described as "fascinating discoveries of First World war trenches on the Western Front. And , I understand, borrows from a BBC "Meet the Ancestors" programme about Wilfred Owen.

18 February - "Empire and Army" - Alan Sennett. The changing role of the Victorian Regiment in the furthest flung corners of the former Empire.

17 March - "Success on the Somme" - Bob Bushaway. Find out how the Manchester Pals of 30th Division captured all their first day objectives on 1st July 1916. Should be a cracker. Bob's a good speaker (and 30th Div on 1 July is my thing).

28 April - "Kohima". The dramatic story of the Battle of Kohima, a turning point in the war in Burma. I know I should know about this, but I don't.

26 May - "Men behind the Medals" - David Hopkins (Museum Curator). The careers of three Manchester Regiment officers of the First World War whose medals are on display in the Museum. David tells me that it'll be a Regular, a Territorial and a New Army. Let's all turn up and persuade David to buy a full set of the Regiment's War Diaries. Should only cost the Museum about 5 grand.

John

Thank you for posting this, John.

Whereabouts in Ashton is the museum?

gwyn

Sorry - should have mentioned. The museuem is at the Town Hall.

If you're not familiar with it, there an old town hall and an adjacent modern office block (also now referred to as the town hall, or Tameside Administrative Centre). The museum is in the old one. Both have access from the Market Square, in the town centre, but I don't know which doors will be open.

John