Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Newspaper casualties (wounded/POW)

Annette Burgoyne

Hi all

Does anyone know if any of the national newspapers casualty list are on CD or microfile (not sure if thats correct spelling).

My local research library have newspapers on microfile or what ever its called but I do not have the time to go there these days. There any newspapers like the Times on CD or better still just the casualty lists from the papers ?

Thanks in advance

Annette

If anyone has any info on this I would like to know as well. My Grandfather, Robert Tucker was wounded in action and lost a leg. I do not know what regiment he was in, in fact I have been unable to get any information on him at all, even from GRO.

Regards

Christina

As you probably know, the War Office did not begin to issue a formal Daily Casualty List until August 1917. This list contained the names of those wounded/missing as well as those who lost their lives. Two copies of this list from August 1917 to end of 1918 are still available. One is at the National Library, George IV Bridge, Edinburgh and the other in London at some Newspaper Archive for which I have forgotten the name and address.

The list is organised in Regiments and be prepared for an exhausting search if you only know the casualty's name. It is even pretty awful if you do.

Apart from the newspaper casualty lists this list is the only source I know that gives names of wounded/missing.

None of the above is on CD.

Regards

Jim Gordon

The Times is an excellent source of information about casualties - particularly officers - other ranks more likely if socially 'well attached.' There is an index to the Times - 'Palmer's Index,' which is searchable, but it is a very expensive subscription only service, and normally only accessible via the libraries at Universities and other institutions. Most of these will have the index, and then the actual papers, but I have only ever looked at individual names, and then it's quite a long-winded chore. Other papers have patchy coverage, normally if someone has devoted a long time to producing information. The West Sussex Record Office, for instance, hold an index, by soldier's name, of all mentions in certain local Sussex papers, for members of the Royal Sussex Regiment - [God Bless Major Ainsworth!], and I seem to recall that other forum members have found similar things locally too.

But even with these indexes it's still necessary to follow up by finding the original report on microfilm or fiche - I haven't ever come across anything available on CD.

On a slightly different tack, the British Newspaper Library web site:

British Newspaper Library

is always interesting - at present they have some Great War newspaper reports on line.

Regards - Sue

This might be of interest to somebody out there ...

This link leads to the Chatham News index 1895 - 1965

http://dialspace.dial.pipex.com/town/parade/oj73/chatnews/

Microfilm copies are available at the Family/Local History Centre at Strood, Kent.

My hardcopy is not at hand so I cant remember if it indexes the roll of honour but this newspaper (and the Chatham Observer and East Kent Gazette) are excellent sources for the local (Medway/Sittingbourne) casualties.

Thanks for your replies, looks like I'll have to make time to go to my local research library and go through their microfiles of the Times.

Thanks

Annette