Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

hms sicilia

Guest natashalorraine

Guest natashalorraine

hi sorry if i've posted in the wrong place

im researching my family tree who have turned out to be norweigen and german. We have been given loads of info of a distnat relative who has already researched the tree. In this info was a painting of hms sicilia she thought it was maybe the ship my ancestors came over in but its obviously wrong as its the wrong type of ship. i have seen it pop up a few times on here but still dont know anything about it. I just really want to know why this paitning is in this research.

my norweigen gg grandad was a seaman if this has any relavance.

any info on this ship would be great and if any of you know where i could crew lists ect would be fantastic

Hello natashalorraine,

If you go to the search facility on this site & put in sicilia then it will come up with previous threads about the WW1 hospital ship which might help you.

The only other reference I can find is the Sicilia of SVENSKA LLOYD, REDERIAKTIEBOLAGET [sWEDISH LLOYD] of Gothenburg which was a cargo vessel with passenger accomodation launched in 1934. It`s possible there might have been another earlier ship with the same name used by this company so it would be worth you trying some merchant navy websites.

Regards,

ARABIS.

I can not find hms sicilia listed for any period. HMS stands for Her or His Majesty's Ship so it could be that you are looking for a merchant ship and there are several with that name. Have you done a google search? Here are 2 from around the World War One period:

http://www.clydesite.co.uk/clydebuilt/viewship.asp?id=4196 This is the hospital ship mentioned by Arabis.

http://members.aol.com/rich353/ships.htm

Edited by per ardua per mare per terram

Hello natashalorraine,

Try a google for the Ships List, they may have it listed. Their search facility is near the bottom of the front page.

Best wishes

David