Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sgt A Jobe DCM, No.1202 1/6 Royal Warwicks

Terry Carter

Hi Folks.

SGT A Jobe, 1/6 Royal Warwicks, according to the DCM citation, earned his award during 1915 when he and some other men occupied a mine crater and kept a German counter attack at bay.

He was the father-in-law of an aunt of mine who has recently passed away. Anyway I have just had a phone call from my cousin who is clearing her bungalow out, to tell me that they have found some medals in the back of the wardrobe. I am going to find out tommorrow what they are. I have promised to find out as much as I can about Sgt A Jobe for my two cousins. I am visiting Plugstreet in April, as I believe it was in this area that he earned the award.

If anyone can give me more details and supply a map of where this mine crater could have been I would very much appretiate it.

Thanks

Terry

I have now found that the battalion was in the front line at Centre sector Plugstreet Wood and the German mine was blown on 14 June, 1915. Sgt Jobe was one of the party that occupied the crater until a communication trench was dug to link it up to our front line. A Lt Greener was also awarded the MC.

Terry,

Sgt 1202, did he become 240054 of the 1/5th? If so lived 8 court 20, Bradford St, Camp Hill, B'ham.

Landed 22.3.15, disembodied 1.8.19.

Rob

hello Rob

Nice to hear from you. I am not quite sure. I have seen the medals minus the DCM when they cleared my Aunt's house. He had the pip, squeak and wilfred plus the Territorial Efficiancy medal. The star is maked 1202 the others did have a six figure number starting with 240****, but could not make them out as I had not got my glasses with me!

It probably was him. he was wounded and listed in the B'ham daily Post on 24/8/16 which probably means he was wounded during the attack on the Leipzig Redoubt. A bullet entered one side of his face, knocked his top teeth out before emerging from the other cheek.

Also apart from the DCM citation I and a mate have searched the Birmingham local press at the time for a report of him getting the DCM and found nothing so far. Which seems a bit strange.

keep in touch

Terry