Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Major R.H. Monck-Mason, Royal Munster Fusiliers

oak

Pals,

Major R.H. Monck-Mason of the 1st Bn. Royal Munster Fusiliers was among those who landed at Sedd-el-Bahr, Gallipoli on 25 April 1915. He later went on to fight on the Western Front and - I believe - survived the war.

In 1902, with the rank of Captain, he took part in the conquest of Northern Nigeria.

I would be very grateful if any pal could tell me his first name/s and/or any further information about him, please

Kind regards,

Philip

His first names were Roger Henry.

Married in 1913 to Miss Geraldine I Verity, Registered Strand, London.

Born c.1871 in India.

Living at 22 Palace Mansions, Fulham in 1901. Age 30, "Lt. Royal Munster Fusiliers". With mother Alice Portia Monck-Mason (57, b. St Georges, Somerset) and sister Winifred Alice Monck-Mason (31, b.India)

1881 : 19 Bathwick Hill, Somerset, as above + Thomas G. Monck-Mason, age 8, born c. 1873, born Cheltenham.

Previously married to Ethel Beatrice Strickland, divorced 1906.

Commissioned 1892:

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...;selHonourType=

DSO, Presented 12-12-1917. Gazetted, 4-6-1917 (King's Birthday Honours)

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...;selHonourType=

Other possible Gazette entries:

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveSe...2&webType=0

Appears to have survived the war and living in Perth, Western Australia in 1936 when dealing with Probate for his brother Thomas George Monck-Mason, Dec'd.

He died between 1936 and 1942 as his widow remarried in London in 1942.

Steve.

Many thanks Steve,

I really appreciate the time and trouble you took on this.

Regards,

Philip

I wonder if he was wounded at Gallipoli and evacuated to Malta?

His first wife - the 24 year old Mrs G I Monck-Mason is shown as a passenger on the P and O vessel "Mongolia" that left London on 15th May 1915 bound for Sydney - with her place of embarkation shown as Malta.

Cheers

Sue

Many thanks Sue,

Major Roger Monck-Mason was wounded on 25 April 1915 during the landing at 'V' Beach/Sedd-el-Bahr. As you suggest, it seems likely that he would have been brought to Malta. Your information about his wife is really interesting.

Steve and yourself have shown what an incredible resource the Forum is for researchers. I never cease to be amazed at the kindness and helpfulness of Forum members.

Regards,

Philip

• 3 weeks later...

His older sister, Edith Mary Monck-Mason, was a member of Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service. Their father was a member of the Bombay Civil Service, and in the 1891 census, their mother, Alice, was a widow living in Exmouth; Roger is given as 'Sandhurst Cadet.'

Edith Monck-Mason trained as a nurse at St. Bartholomew's Hospital, and joined the QAs in 1903. She left in 1905, but returned to serve in the Great War.

Sue

• 2 months later...

Sue,

Belated thanks for this extra information. I apologise that I didn't reply before now: it's a couple of months since I looked at this thread.

Regards,

Philip

• 7 years later...

R.H. Monck-Mason commanded the 1st Munsters for a period of 20 months, longer than any other battalion OC of the regiment in WW1.Broken Sword: The Tumultuous Life of General Frank Crozier 1897-1937

By Charles Messenger suggests on p 118 that he was removed end 1917 for lack of drive due to ill health. He susequently served with Elope Force in Russia mid 1918 and in Lithuania 1920.

i have a nice photo of Messr Monck-Mason he was based in Coventry before the landings and information was passed back to people in Coventry thus his photo was in the local paper.

If you need it let me know