Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

In From The Cold - 30.08.07

Terry Denham

CWGC added the following 'new' WW1 casualties to its Debt of Honour database today – Thursday 30th August.

Pte Frank Alfred GRATION

12/380 12 Bn, York & Lancaster Regt

Died 25.01.18 Age 24

Buried: Tibshelf (St John the Baptist) Churchyard, Derbyshire, UK

L/Sjt Tom Reginald NEWMARCH

2330 2nd/1st Lincolnshire Yeomanry

Died 04.02.17 Age 23

Buried: Scartho (St Giles) Churchyard, Lincolnshire, UK

Pte Harry Wakefield RICHMOND

15203 2 Bn, Worcestershire Regt

Died 31.01.18 Age 24

Buried: Feckenham (St John the Baptist) Churchyard, Worcestershire, UK

Pte David SMOLLAN

TR5/27193 9th Bn, East Yorkshire Regt

Died 30.09.17 Age 18

Buried: Middlesbrough (Linthorpe) Cemetery, Yorkshire, UK

NOT FORGOTTEN

L/Sjt Newmarch was put forward by GWF for commemoration on 07.08.07 on behalf of member, TcM59. A post-discharge case.

Pte Richmond was put forward by GWF for commemoration on 08.08.07 on behalf of member, Geoff501. Another post-discharge case.

Pte Smollen was accepted for commemoration last year but his grave could not be located immediately. This was achieved recently with the help of GWF members.

We find these soldiers, but it's really they who choose us. Long live their memories, and our thoughts and prayers are with them.

I couldn't have put it better myself Katie...beautiful words. As long as people like us are interested, they will never be forgotten.

Lynz

As long as people like us are interested, they will never be forgotten.

And long may it continue. Someone mentioned earlier that the finding of the soldiers was justification for this Forum, well here is more still.

Pte Frank Alfred GRATION

Died 25.01.18 Age 24

May Alfred Gration rest in peace.

Andy Hesketh, congratulations for getting this chap the recognition he deserves!!

Guest geoff501
We find these soldiers, but it's really they who choose us.

Pte Richmond's name is on the memorial in this thread:

One of three men who could not be identified, now all three are In From The Cold. Like many of the ex scouts from his village, Harry enlisted on 1st September 1914. Posted to France with A coy, 2nd Bn Worcestershire Regiment on 1st April 1915. Harry spent time in and out of hospital at Rouen in 1916 with various illnesses; influenza, enteric fever and bronchitis. He was sent back to England in June 1916 and spent 9 months at Taplow Military Hospital. He had nephritis, from which he never recovered. He died at home on 31st January 1918. Harry was difficult to trace, village historians had tried for decades to identify him. The 1901 census finally revealed him. Although his mother was from a large family, there seems to be no living relatives left in the area. I thought I had lost Harry at one point, all that could be found at the National Archives was his medal roll entry. Luckily his pension records turned up on Ancestry and there was enough detail to put his case forward.

Pte. Richmond is buried at Feckenham Churchyard, his home village, although the church has no record of where the grave is. I'm now hoping it will be possible to give Harry the headstone he deserves, 'Buried in this churchyard'. Welcome back Harry. A big THANK YOU to all who helped me achieve this result.

I love the phrase 'In from the Cold' as well - it's as though they have now been warmed by all the love and recognition they are shown. For some reason, this sprang into mind:

Slowly our ghosts drag home: glimpsing the sunk fires glozed

With crusted dark-red jewels; crickets jingle there;

For hours the innocent mice rejoice: the house is theirs;

Shutters and doors all closed: on us the doors are closed -

We turn back to our dying.

Probably the reference to 'sunk fires' and 'home' that does it. Now the doors have been opened again - we've welcomed them back into our hearts.

Good On You Terry... :)

The 75 men I am currently researching died some 90 years ago but have somehow come alive in 2007. Having visited their graves or memorials, read about where they lived and died, they cannot be foregotten. And now 90 years on we are celebrating those who fought and stayed in the Ypres Salient in an exhibition in their own town where their efforts will be seen by young and old alike. We can do this because they enabled us to do so.

Bernard P

Raising a glass to the memory of Frank, Tom, Harry & David. Raising another to all those whose hard efforts brought these men back into the fold.

Andy H.

Well done with Pte Gration. I didn't know this was one of yours!

It's quite an interesting story, i am sure Andy wouldn't mind giving it

L/Sjt Tom Reginald NEWMARCH

2330 2nd/1st Lincolnshire Yeomanry

Died 04.02.17 Age 23

Buried: Scartho (St Giles) Churchyard, Lincolnshire, UK

I am both pleased and surprised at the relatively short time taken by the MoD / CWGC to commemorate Tom Newmarch once the case was submitted by Terry Denham on my behalf. I think the decision endorses the one made by the good people of Scarthoe and the Church some 80+ years ago.

My interest in Tom was triggered by this topic in January ‘07: Corporal Charles S. Gill MM and Bar. Corporal Gill, is remembered along with Tom R Newmarch and six other men from the village on a Stone Slab Memorial in North Aisle of St Giles Church, Scartho(e) [during the last 50 - 60 years the ‘e’ has gone out of common usage]. Tom was the only one of the eight on the memorial to those that lost their lives in the Great War that was not commemorated by the CWGC. Both Tom and Charles Lived and worked at Top Farm, Scarthoe before enlisting as did Tom’s elder brother Sidney who died in May 1914.

Like others carrying out this type of research I went on a few frustrating and time consuming false trails but help, advice and encouragement from GWF members and of course Terry Denham makes this I believe, a result for the GWF.

Sincere thanks to everyone that contributed.

Cheers Terry

Terry

Regards Charles

Terry,

Pte David SMOLLAN

TR5/27193 9th Bn, East Lancashire Regt

Died 30.09.17 Age 18

Buried: Middlesbrough (Linthorpe) Cemetery, Yorkshire, UK

Is it the East Yorkshire Regiment?

Regards Charles

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks to Bob Coulson, Pte Smollan can know be remembered.

Name: SMOLLAN, DAVID

Initials: D

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: East Yorkshire Regiment

Unit Text: 9th

Date of Death: 30/09/1917

Service No: TR5/27193

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Grave 114

Cemetery: MIDDLESBROUGH (LINTHORPE) CEMETERY

• 2 weeks later...

Pte Frank Alfred GRATION

Died 25.01.18 Age 24

Only just noticed that Frank had been flagged up - I must have been on holiday at the time. As Anthony says, Frank's story is an interesting one and it took the best part of five years to get it right. I'll have to post it up some time.

I have to congratulate the CWGC for the speed of their response once I'd got the evidence together.

All I'm waiting for now is the news of when the headstone will be placed on his unmarked grave as I'd love to be there.

(Also many thanks to both Anthony and 'Brigantian' who both supplied crucial clues at vital times - your help is very much appreciated by the descendants)

Andy,

Would you let me know if you find out and i will see if i can go too?

• 1 year later...

Well, after goodness knows how long the headstone is up. The CWGC did a great job and were delayed by in-fighting within the family over the epitaph in the end, none of whom bothered to let me know it was going up. My first news was from the excellent Maria Choules at CWGC who sent me the photo.

I would have loved to have been there to honour Frank's return from the cold, but at least he now has the long awaited recognition he deserves, having died nearly two years after his injuries at Serre in July 1916.

Rest in peace Frank.

post-150-1233094623.jpg