Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

George Thomas Gray, Stoker 1

russgray7

Hi All,

I have recently been researching the service record of my great uncle, Stoker George Thomas Gray, number 296164 and have just found his grave in South Shields. He served with the RN from 1901 to 1912 on a variety of ships and when war broke out returned to serve on the HMS Euryalus from 1st August 1914 to 16 Feb 1915 when he seems to be invalided for 'diseases other than mental'

He returned to South Shields and died on 3rd April 1916 at the South Shields hospice house infirmary having to share an unpurchased grave with someone else since there was no relatives (or presumably a grateful country) to bury him.

At the end it states he was KC no 6926 issued 27/3/19 and paid war gratuity on the same date...in cash??

My question is why did George not receive a proper military grave? He must have still been in the Navy as his death is recorded on his service card.

Many thanks in advance,

Russ

It sounds as though he died after he was 'discharged invalided' from the Service. If that is the case, it would be necessary for his invaliding and subsequent death to be ATTRIBUTABLE to his naval service for his death to be recognised as due for commemoration by the CWGC. If he had died while serving, there would be no question that he would qualify for both CWGC commemoration and a naval funeral - if the latter was the wish of his n.o.k. (if any).

Just because his d.o.d. is recorded in his record does not mean he was still serving. You need to check the d.o.d. and date of discharge carefully. If he died in service his date of discharge wil be his d.o.d. recorded as "discharged dead" or 'DD'

Thanks Horatio2,

It is difficult to tell, it is a bit scribbly and faded at the bottom but there is no discharged dead or otherwise written anywhere. There seems to be written 'Tr. Pens 6/7/15' in the remarks section if that means anything to anyone.

Russ

From what you say it does not appear that he was still serving, but was invalided out.

Tr. Pens 6/7/15 = Traced Pension. As he had not served 22 years, I assume that this was a disability pension and that his death is recorded to show when that pension stopped.

The burial probably took place before the Navy learned of his death, but I'm not aware that it was usual practice for the armed forces to bury all the dead in Britain. As far as I know it was up to family and relatives. Jack (John Travers) Cornwell VC was initially buried privately and as I recall that was in a paupers grave.

Thanks per ardua,

I have just sent off for his death certificate which will hopefully provide some clues as to the manner of his death and if it was related to his service abroad.

And again many thanks for your comments.

Russ

Hi All,

I have just received the death certificate back and as you say it seems he had left the navy, his occupation being stated as 'formerly a stoker HMS Eurylis (obviously Euryalus) No. 296164 Naval Pensioner' and the cause of death '(1) General paralysis of the insane'. He also had a widow.

Is there anything to be read into this and what is the cause of death?

Many thanks,

Russ

From previous records that I have seen, "general paralysis of the insane" is frequently associated with death from tertiary syphilis. It is rare for either insanity or venereal diseases to be attributable to service.